35. irl

After the meal at the reception, Dustin and Natalia took the floor for their first dance as husband and wife.

Evan and Jasper were sat at a table together, watching the happy couple. Well, Evan was. Jasper was glaring across the floor at her mother, who was watching Dustin and Natalia with a smile.

Evan caught her glaring again and put a hand on hers.

"Jas, you have to let it go," he said. "Pretend like she's not here. You're just satisfying her by letting her know you're still upset."

"I can't help it Evan. She has no right to be here! She told Dustin that Natalia would break up with him! She said Dustin would never find someone beautiful like Natalia because he wasn't popular like her! She...she..."

Jasper couldn't finish. There was one thing that Evan didn't know about Jasper's mom.

Besides Maria telling Jasper that Evan would stop being her friend because he was famous, she also told her daughter the same thing she told Dustin; "You have a crush on him?! Sweetheart, you're nothing but another face in the crowd to him. He probably already has his pick of beautiful, famous women and you won't be one of them."

It was the reason Jasper never told Evan how she really felt. It was the reason she felt down on herself and insecure, especially when Emma came around. No matter how much of a terrible person Emma was, Jasper had to admit that she was beautiful.

Evan knew there was something else Jasper wasn't telling him, but he decided to leave it be. Jasper would tell him if she wanted.

Instead, Evan stood from the table and extended his hand to Jasper.

"Come on," he said. "Let's dance."

Jasper smiled and took Evan's hand.

The two took the floor with Dustin and Natalia. Evan caught eyes with Dustin and mouthed an apology for taking their moment. Dustin smiled and shook his head.

Jasper wrapped her arms around Evan's neck and he wrapped his arms around her waist. They were so close to each other, they could feel the other's heart beat. Jasper thought she was going to pass out from nervousness.

This could be a perfect moment to tell Evan how she had always felt about him, but she had to refrain. This was her brother's wedding. She couldn't steal the moment. She and Natalia always sat and talked about couples who would get engaged or announce a pregnancy or something at another's wedding. She didn't want to take away Natalia and Dustin's limelight.

"I'm so glad you asked me to be your date," Evan said. "I'm glad I got to come and see Dustin get married."

"I'm sure Dusty would've invited you anyways," Jasper chuckled. "But I'm glad you said yes."

"Why wouldn't I?"

Jasper put her head on Evan's shoulder to avoid looking him in the eye.

"I don't know," she lied.

"I know you do, Jas," Evan replied. "But I won't push it."

They danced in silence (besides the music) for a moment. More couples were coming to the floor to dance. Evan watched Dustin and Natalia smile at the couples who would congratulate them.

Dustin caught Evan's eye again and gave him one of those intimidating big brother looks. However, Evan had known Dustin for so long he knew Dustin was more talk than anything.

Evan pulled away from Jasper and looked down at her. She looked so beautiful in her pink dress and make up, the flower from earlier now poked in her sparkly belt.

"What's wrong?" Jasper asked.

Evan shook his head. "Nothing...other than the fact that I haven't done this yet."

Evan cupped Jasper's face and kissed her lips.