Xx Merlin xX

Two pots of soup and bread clatter in my hands as I swiftly move down the corridor, the summer breeze and glaring light shine through the open windows and make the white stone walls glow. A sharp turn and another equally bright corridor to march down, passing servants and knights along the way, each seeming cheerful and content with the day. I give a short smile back and keep moving. Another sharp turn and...

"Whoa!" The sound of hot soup and crumpled bodies could be heard across all of Camelot, I tumble down and land against a wall, soup spills across the floor and the boy flies backwards landing on his head. I curse and scramble up, quickly picking up the remaining soup in the pot and staring at the destruction.

Bits of carrot float along mini rivers of pea soup, down the cracks in the floor. I grimace and start scooping burning soup back into the pot. I am pretty sure my hands are burning but I don't feel any pain. Only regret that my mistresses' soup is now ruined.

The boy finally comes to his senses and groans, reaching for the plum sized lump on the back of his ebony head. His sits and sways, possibly concussed from the fall and assesses the mess he made. He clears his throat and speaks in a light and yet apologetic tone, "Sorry, didn't see you there." I huff in reply and pick up what I can, trying to ignore the burns on my hands.

The boy stands and walks over to me, careful not to step in the soup. "Are you okay, your hands, they look burnt." I can tell he is only being kind but I turn my back to him. Kindness comes with a price and that price is usually pain.

"Thank you for being so considerate. My mistress needs me I must go." I wince at the sound of my voice, it's even quieter than usual, typical. I start walking down the corridor and turn before he can say anything else.

Just two more weeks then we return home. Camelot will be far behind us.

***

I enter the door and it squeaks, Lady Feaye is not in so I leave the soup on the table and leave as quickly as possible. Although Feaye is a wise ruler, she is not a kind mistress, avoiding her is like avoiding punishment. That's how I intend to keep it.

Unsure where to go now, I decide to cool my hands in water, that way I can stop the pain from spreading to my brain. I walk to the doctors room and take a bucket of cold water, kneeling on the steps outside, I hold my hands under the water and count to 60.

"You okay, I mean aside from the fact I ran into this morning." The familiar voice makes me look up, the sunlight blocks my vision perfectly to return my gaze to my red and blotchy hands. "You weren't watching where you were going." I reply, choosing to ignore the question.

There is a definite ten seconds of silence.

He shuffles awkwardly. "I know, but Arthur is such a twat, I mean, making me run all the way to the kitchen to fetch a potato is not fair. I am Merlin by the way." Merlin holds out a hand and I shake it, his grip is warm and tight but maybe that's because my hands are freezing.

"Rane." I reply and he tilts his head in confusion, I get that look a lot when I tell people my birth name. "My mother gave birth to me in a thunderstorm. Kind of stuck." He smiles and laughs, I watch him quietly unsure whether is bid goodbye again or talk. Seeing as I have nothing better to do I stay sat.

"Nice to meet you Rane, are you Lady Feaye's servant? It's just I see you trailing her often." He asks and I look into the bucket of water, I spot something floating in the liquid and instantly regret washing my hands. "Yes, but you're the kings servant, must be an honour." I counter, changing to subject to something more suitable than taking about my mistress.

He laughs and leans back on the stairs, resting his elbows in thee step above my head. "If you call serving an idiot an honour then yes, it is the greatest job in the world." Grinning we laugh and I smile at the stupid but honest remark.

"I could show you round town, there are some nasty bits, but most of it is pretty nice." Merlin says standing up and holding out a hand. I sigh and shake my head, rising on my own. "My mistress wouldn't approve of my absence for so long." Merlin laughs and takes a step towards me, I see him dive for my hand so I lift it out of the way. He tumbles to the ground beside me.

"Sorry, Merlin. I would really like to tour with you, just another time maybe. It was really nice meeting you." I force out, holding a fake smile I run up the stairs and into the castle.

***

What just happened.

I used every trick that Gwaine has told me on her.

Make her laugh, tell her your name, ask about her, tell her about you, make her laugh again, ask to show her around and nope that girl is stubborn.

But beautiful.

I am sitting on the steps alone, I have no idea how long, just picturing the face of a literal angel. Nothing I can do shakes her out my mind and its driving me insane. Sure, I did crash into her this morning and I did maybe try a little too hard to make her laugh but that doesn't lead her to hate me does it?

Another time.

I only have two weeks till I can never see her again.

Two weeks is long enough for me.

AN: Kind of rushed I am sorry, I liked the idea of adding another character into the series.
So I did.

SHIP OF THE CHAPTER

Dan X Phil

Come on, they are practically joined at the hip!

Thanks for reading!
Kitty out!

^,~