First impression

"Ugh, too hot." I quickly remove the mug from my mouth as the tea is burning my lips. I put it down on the small table next to me and decide to drink it later. I take the newspaper which is also on the table and open it, just to check if there is any job available for me.

Having a job started to be quite urgent lately, as living in a town such as Los Angeles had its cost. I've been living in this city for 3 months now right after having obtained my journalism diploma. I had decided to move to L.A in order to get a job and maybe develop a solid career.

This was my choice. I knew I had to make sacrifices and living away from my family was one of them. But being a part of this world and maybe achieve the dream I had always purchased was worth it.

But, L.A is quite an expensive city, full of talented people. I needed to earn a living to be able to be among these. I started to grow more and more desperate as I couldn't find a job. Everyday I was reading daily papers, looking through the advertisements. But nothing.

And every time my parents called to check on me, I lied. I was basically telling them that everything was okay and that I had many opportunities. In fact, I felt alone and miserable, not able to do something with my life. It was like I had been dreaming about being here for such a long time, and now that I was here, nothing was happening. And no one.

I had this little dream about meeting the love of my life once I get here, you know like in all of these movies. Big city big crush ? Maybe I had too much faith in life and I was slowly noticing it.

As usual I was reading the newspaper, turning the pages, slowly, desperately. And once again I was facing the same damn advert, the same I have been reading for days. The ad was offering a job in which you had to be a personal assistant for someone called Mr. Malik. He was the boss of a magazine, highly reputed and highly fashionable.

As it is written, the job requires qualities such as : experience, endurance, patience, availability and devotion. I was definitely available as the situation was getting worse and this job was well-paid if I may add. Which isn't a petty detail in my situation. The problem is the question of experience.

I was freshly graduated and I've never been able to work as a journalist or something similar. The thing is, if you never start somewhere then how are you going to improve ? Well, maybe I could lie. After all, many people lie about their experiences to get employed. This ad was tempting me so bad. Everyday I was reading it again and again.

Time was flying so fast and I was still on square one. I needed to do something and I was going to do something today. So, I adjust my grey wool sweater, stand up and take my phone on the bed, I turn it on and slowly dial the number written on the paper in an upsurge of confidence. Each number I am dialing is getting me closer. Suddenly, I am afraid to talk to someone on the phone, not knowing where this could get me.

God, what am I doing. Hang up before someone answer, you are making a fool of yourself. You'll call later, don't do this. You'll find another job maybe this one doesn't fit you. You can't lie, you have to be honest. I'll be fired on day one I-

"Hello ?"

Shit, what am I suppose to say ?

"Uh, hi ?"

"May I help you ?"

"Uh, actually I was calling for the ad-advert on the..."