1: First Day

I gulped as I looked up at the entrance arch of the school. S.Lupus High. It was gray, cracked, and moldy at some places. It looked exactly like those haunted schools in movies, and I couldn't believe they were still using it despite of its ancient appearance. It was different from what I was used to. Very, very different.

 Someone suddenly bumped into me from behind, and I almost fell over. It was a girl, probably a student as well, and she was with a boy. They just stared at me for a few seconds, but when they turned around, I heard the girl say, "Why is she standing still at the middle of the entrance? Is she an idiot or something?"

 I blushed in embarrassment and stepped to the side.

"Maeji, you can do this. It can't possibly be that different, right?" I clenched my fists and forced out a smile. I took in a deep breath, probably for the 100th time of the day, and stepped inside the campus.

 It was my first day.

 I walked all around the building as I familiarized myself with the directions. I was an hour earlier than the class start, as I have always been in my previous school, so there was almost nobody around. I kept my gaze straight so it would've been hard to tell that I was a transferee. I heard that most transfer students receive "special" treatments on the first day, especially in public schools. I really didn't need that kind of treatment.

 Finally, I reached III-C and there was no one there. I took the seat right beside the window so I could see the school grounds below. I sat there in silence for minutes, but then a male student entered the room. At first he was comfortably strutting as if he was used to this time of arrival, then froze as he saw me. He was wearing the uniform properly but had blonde hair, but if I were to base on his uniform and punctuality, I could say he was a responsible student.

 "You might not want to be in that seat." He said, and I abruptly stood up. He probably figured out I was a transferee because of that area of my ignorance.

 "W-which seat should I take, then?" I mentally slapped myself for stuttering. He looked around, then pointed at a seat at the center back. I timidly nodded and walked towards it. He continued staring while I awkwardly stood there, and we sort of expected each other to say something, but none did. Then he left without any word.

 I exhaled as the suffocatingly awkward atmosphere finally disappeared. I looked at the previous chair as I sat on the new one. Who could have owned that seat that it seemed almost illegal to even touch it?

 "Ha, I know, I know!" A loud scratchy voice echoed from the halls, together with the clacking of dozens of feet. I was certain a huge group was coming and indeed, I was right. A Mohawk-sporting guy was in front of them with girls under each arm, and the people behind him gave praises and compliments as if he were a celebrity. He took the seat I was in earlier and sat boldly, then continued entertaining his disciples. "Handsome" was the word I heart most often, so I knew they were just flattering him. He must be very prominent around here, so I was thankful that all attention was on him, making me like a mere speck of dust in that room.

 I silently thanked the man earlier. He may have been quite weird, but he still saved me on the first day of classes. Well, the first hour of it.

* * * * * * * * * *

During lunch break, I searched for a peaceful place to have lunch in since I did not want to risk anybody chatting with me in the classroom. I eventually reached the rooftop and was surprised to see nobody there. Probably because of the sun and the dust piled up here and there. In my previous school, though, the rooftop was a famous hangout place of all.

 I sat on the right side and opened my lunch box. I sighed at the scarcity, but of course, I had to deal with it and move on. I heard the door creak open, so I peeked at the corner to see who it was, but it immediately closed again. Weird.

 I wasn't even done eating when the bell rang. Grunting, I scurried down the steps since our room was two floors below. I was doing fine, until on the last step, I tripped on something and slipped forward. I stumbled into another girl and we came crashing together. The noisy hall suddenly turned quiet.

 I quickly stood up, "I'm so sorry, I tripped-"

"How. Dare. You." She snarled. Her companions stayed behind her, all wearing the same murderous stare as her.  I am sooo dead.

 "I'm so sorry," I repeated anyway. She slammed me against the wall.

"Do you realize how embarrassing you made me look like?" Her eyes bore into my forehead as she inched closer. I couldn't do anything but silently pray for salvation. Before I could even expect it, she already has slapped me across the face. Aside from the sting, there was an additional cool searing pain as she seemed to have included her thumb nail.

 She raised her other hand to do the same to my right cheek. I didn't know what to do. I have never been involved in anything violent, so in the end, I just shut my eyes, ready for the impact.

 But it never came. I opened my eyes and saw a tall red-haired man holding her wrist to stop her. He was looking at her with eyes scarier than her murderous stare before, and she had no choice but to be frightened.

 Then, as if all her fierceness dissolved into thin air, she choked on his name in fear.

"Tao."

 * * * * * * * * * * *

 [A/N]: Yep, girl in pic is Maeji. Cute, ne? :D