48: Getting To Know You

I looked down at my desk, still pouting. Lay left the room for a while, so I didn't have anyone to talk to during class interval (Well, it's not like he always talks to me, but at least I have some familiar company around). Actually, he was already gone for an hour, so he practically missed one whole class. The meeting Tao called for must have been so important. It's kind of weird for him to call for a meeting at such time, not during lunch and not after classes, so while I contemplated over it, I could only think of one reason why would he do that: Because I wasn't allowed to hear about whatever they would talk about. Sure, Lay invited me to come, but I would definitely not miss a single class ever in my life.

"Prof is absent again," The class representative announced lifelessly as she went in, and the class immediately rejoiced. I sighed. So I was meant to go to the meeting after all. I grabbed my bag and headed towards the staircase, but then I froze when I felt something odd by the window on the hallway. Slowly, I approached it to look over the school grounds. At first, I didn't see anything because the school ground was empty, but when I looked closer, I realized that it wasn't inside the school. It was a person, leaning casually at a wall right across the street. With his tall physique and that unique, powerful aura, I knew that I couldn't be mistaken. Kris.

What is he doing here? How could he casually get past the dome whenever he wants? Does he know the HBs are having a meeting right now? Biting my lip, I grabbed my phone to message Kai.

"Hey. How long will your meeting last?"

"IDK. Tao has a lot to say. Why? What's up?"

I glanced back at Kris' figure, and took a deep breath.

"Just tell Lay our prof for this hour is absent. I'll just be in the classroom. :)"

Once again cursing at my poor decision making skills, I dropped my phone into my pocket and ran down the stairs. I know I'm not supposed to be talking to Kris, but I just couldn't stand still when there's something inside me saying that I have to know more about Kris. That there's something other than his greed for power. After all, why would he still want to get rid of Tao if he knows the punishment for what he's doing is death? Unless he actually wants something other than the leadership. Whatever it is, I want to know.

I cautiously looked around as I walked out of the building, making sure that none of the boys would see me. And it's not like the other students would care about anything I do. As Kris finally noticed that I was walking towards him, he seemed genuinely shocked. But he immediately got over it and flashed a mischievous smile.

"Ah, Maeji. What a surprise! I was just chilling around. I didn't expect to see you."

"What are you doing here?" I wasn't intimidated by him anymore, so I already had the nerve to cross my arms and glare. "Are you spying on us?"

"Spying?" Well, I can't deny that. But I actually came to check out what has changed around here while I was... you know, gone." He slyly waved his hand around, but I knew he was toying with me again.

"Didn't I tell you that---"

"That playing games wouldn't bring me anywhere?" His face turned serious. "But the thing is, I'm not playing games, Maeji."

My brows furrowed further. Sighing exasperatedly, I grabbed his arm and started dragging him towards the small café nearby. I expected him to yank his arm off me, but surprisingly, he didn't do that. I'm sure he can kick me a mile away if he wanted to. Never the less, I kept my expression firm and swiftly sat on a table. I pointed to the other chair.