8: The Past

A/N: You might want to listen to the music as you read. Warning: Might make you slightly sad. :3

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The following days felt normal... yet empty. It was even barely two days that I was able to spend time with those Hellion Brothers, but I guess that was only how far I could go. It's amazing and painful at the same time that they could pretend that I don't exist at all. Even though Lay and I were in the same class, not once did I ever catch him glancing. Even those goofballs, Chen, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kai, could pass by me within a foot's distance without looking awkward. Tao kept his word really, really well, and I didn't dare disobey him too.

 Sighing, I continued poking at my food, not feeling really hungry at all. I was at the rooftop that has become my official hangout (hiding?) place for the past whole week. I looked around the dusty floor and remembered the soft grass in their garden. Dammit, Maeji. Stop making yourself even lonelier.

 The rooftop door suddenly creaked open. It was like déjà vu, since the same thing happened on the first day of school. Expecting it to close again, I just ignored it and continued eating, or rather, poking.

 "I knew I'd find you here." I looked up to see Luhan. I suddenly stood up in utter shock. "So it was you stealing my secret hang-out place."

 "W-Why are you talking to me? Aren't you—"

"Forbidden? I know." He chuckled and sat down, leaning on the wall. "But I think it's really not necessary."

 I bowed my head, secretly thankful, but was afraid for him as well. I was sure Tao wasn't the type of person that easily forgives disobedience.

 "I'm sorry if he's doing this to you, but I'm sure it's because he just wants to protect you."

"Protect me?" My brows furrowed. I sat back down on the floor as I mused to myself. "But you are nice people."

 Luhan chuckled and looked at me as if I was a little child. "No, it's not to protect you from us. It's to protect you from someone you don't know." My brows furrowed even deeper. He took a deep breath, knowing that he'll have to give me a fulfilling explanation.

 "A few years ago, probably my sophomore year, there was still 12 of us. Those were the times we were still the friendly ones." He looked up at the sky as if trying to recall the memories inside his head. "We were doing okay. We had friends... and loads of admirers."

 He gave a playful wink, making me smile. "Our leader then was Kris. He was naturally cold and strict towards everything, but never really said or did anything harmful. He just didn't like how the other students carelessly walk around calling us 'hyungs' and 'oppas' but since he showed only slight annoyance we never took him seriously. So did the others. So when someone went a little too far, we didn't expect that to happen. Do you know that mohawk guy in the same class as you and Lay?"

I nodded.

"Kris almost dropped him there." He pointed at the front side of the rooftop that could be seen from the font of the campus. "We don't know how exactly it happened, but we know he criticized Kris as a 'worthless blockhead leader.' That really, really dented Kris' pride, so he just snapped and grabbed him by the ankle, almost killing someone, if only we weren't able to stop him."

 I cringed as I imagined how scary that scene might have been. Luhan continued.

 "After that day, everything he's been keeping inside all burst out unto us. He only didn't hate the other students; he hated us as well. You see, there's this tradition in our bloodline that whoever is the most suitable and mature, usually the eldest one, would become a blood leader and have a large share of inheritance. Kris was sure he'll be chosen, as he was intelligent, hard-working, talented, charming, and handsome." He slightly chuckled at the last word. "He was basically the description of perfect. But they chose Tao instead."

"Tao?" I repeated like a retard.

He nodded, "We don't know why, but if it was the leader's decision, then we supposed it was for the best. But Kris disagreed. For years, he stayed silent and did all his best in everything, hoping to change the leader's mind and choose him instead. So I can't blame him for wanting respect, which we never granted him. We were too comfortable."

He paused for a long time, but I wanted to know more. "So... where is he now?"

"He left. He swore to make sure he would get chosen, no matter what it takes, even if it means violence. We know he's just out there, watching us, as he already tried killing Tao, but failed." My eyes widened at that. "He's waiting for his next big chance, during the Gold Moon, when he will have the most advantage. We've been thinking of ways to overpower him somehow, and then you came out of nowhere."

He reached out to ruffle my hair, smiling. "You may not realize it yet, but you're a big help to us. Especially for Tao. So we're definite Kris will try to take you away from us once he finds out about you."

"Why will he have an advantage during that Gold Moon? What's so special about it?"

"It's kind of a complicated thing... But what's important is that you already know why Tao wants you to stay away from us. It's not because he hates you." He stood up and stretched, disregarding my question. Well, maybe it is better to know that some other time. Everything Luhan told me was already quite a lot to process.

"Thank you so much, Luhan-sshi." I bowed in gratitude.

"You're welcome, Maeji. And just call me Luhan." He smiled, ruffled my hair once again, and left. For the first time of the week, a genuine smile finally formed on my lips.

 I whispered once again, not for Luhan, but for that red haired man that tries hard to hide his kindness behind a stoic face.

 "Thank you..."

 * * * * * * * * * *