28: Kai

A/N: Music alert!! Listen to it while you read! I'm actually planning on making you cry lol.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

It was Wednesday, and it was the other half of the Hellion Brothers' turn for the evaluations. So yay! No Tao lurking around for the meantime, but that also meant no garden for that day. We had to deal with the crumbling 5th floor again. I was also definite that it was already a mad house up there, because most of the men that usually kept the hyperactive goofballs on the leash were gone. The leader (Tao), the president (Xiumin), and the future terror elder (Lay); all gone. But on second thought, the nagger (Suho) was still there, so at least there would still be some sanity. Hopefully. Since Lay was absent, I expected that at lunch, I'd have to walk up there all by myself. But surprisingly, as I stepped outside the room, my eye immediately caught a very charismatic boy leaning against the wall with that familiar messy fringe decorating his face. Kai!

"Oh, hey!" My face automatically brightened up. He looked up and seemed shocked for a second, before returning an awkward smile. Oh right, I remember. Suho assigned him to stick with me no matter what. Frowning at his not-so-enthusiastic reply, I gave him a big pat on the shoulder and started walking. He automatically followed.

"Why don't you smile that brightly anymore?" I pouted childishly, wanting him to stop being stiff and start playing along like he used to do. Instead, his brows just furrowed as he continued staring at the floor. My frown only deepened. "What has two tails, two trunks, and five feet?"

This made him look up in confusion, "Um... what?"

"An elephant with spare parts."

Still frowning, I placed my hands on my waist as I waited for his reaction. He looked dumbstruck, as if wondering if I have gone crazy or something. Imaginary crickets chirped as the silence invaded the surroundings but finally, after a few excruciating seconds, he burst into laughter. I just watched him have his moment of happiness I never saw him have even once for the past few weeks.

"Finally, there's the Kai smile I've missed." I stated with a proud smile. As he wiped imaginary tears from his eyes, Kai forced to answer between laughs.

"You stole my joke."

"Yes I did. And your shocked face was kind of epic." I laughed as we climbed up the stairs. As his laughter died down, that stressed face of his came back again, and he looked at me with apologetic eyes.

"Maeji, I'm really sorry if I have been cold to you lately. It's just that... I was thinking..."

"Mhmm," I nodded, waiting for him to go on. He paused for a moment as if hesitating to continue.

"I was thinking about where I would place myself around you. I wanted to distance myself for the better, but it seemed like fate didn't want it that way..."

"Why would you want to do that?" My eyes widened, and he flinched in shock at my suddenly loud voice. It was quite funny how my little actions could surprise him that much already, when during the first weeks we became close, he was the cool and laid-back dude that seemed to have nothing to fear. "Kai, you were the first person that was friendly to me. The first person to shake my hand. The first person to crack such a corny joke to me. And the first person I ever became close to. So why did you even think of keeping your distance from me??"

"Well, I..." his words trailed off as he became flabbergasted by my speech. He probably didn't expect that I still remembered all those things. Though yes, it was because of him that I slipped and made the queenka hate me on the first day, but still also the reason why I met the Hellion Brothers. If it wasn't for his tendency to lose his emblem (which was supposed to be top secret, mind you), I wouldn't be living life like this today. I haven't had the chance to say it to him, because it was too corny and embarrassing, but Kai... Thank you so much for beginning all this. I owe you so much.

As we reached the 5th floor, I was already humming happily, already in my little happy wonderland. Kai, though, was still too busy thinking. I didn't try to bother him anymore, since he was still probably absorbing everything that I have said. I was about to proceed to the hallway, but he suddenly grabbed my wrist and teleported us to the rooftop. Fortunately, the abrupt brightness didn't blind me, maybe because my brain have programmed itself already that nothing could be more annoying to the eye than Baekhyun's light show last night.

"Maeji...," Kai began, but he bit his lip as he hesitated again. "I've been wanting to ask..."

"...yes?" I ushered for him to go on when his interval already lasted for 10 seconds.

"I promise that I won't act coldly around you anymore, so could you promise that you wouldn't avoid me after this?"

"Of course! I would never be able to do that, oh-so-cool Kai." I laughed as I patted his shoulder. Suddenly, he grabbed my hand, and peered straight into my eyes. Instantly, I wasn't able to look away, and all I could hear was my heart starting to pound loudly. There was something in his eyes that gave me the urge to reach out to stroke his hair and hug him. It was like looking into the eyes of a lost puppy.

Still holding my hand gently, Kai stepped closer, and I could almost read in his eyes all the words that he wanted to say. But only one of them came out of his mouth It was like a bullet to my heart.

"Maeji, do you like Tao?"

* * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N]: Sorry if it was kinda short. It was just meant to show you the special friendship they had that I failed to emphasize in the story. :3