ECHOES

Ella Moss

12/17

They never stopped fighting. It ended sometime when I was asleep because I woke up to silence.

I don't know how they can fight constantly and never get tired of it. I feel like I am the bad person because all I do is drown then out and try to distract myself from listening to them fight. But I couldn't do anything to stop them, it was on their own will to fight every second of the day.

I went to school with a headache from hearing the yelling and came home tired as could be.

I took a nap and woke up to my sisters fighting. If it wasn't my parents it was my siblings.

I slipped my heavy coat on and started walking to the coffeehouse.

“Hey,” I look up to see Jaxon sitting in front of me. I give him a small smile and then go back to my phone.

“You still look sad you know?”

I shrug and Jaxon taps the spot like right under my eyes on the table. I look up and see him smiling.

“Do you want to tell me why you're sad?”

“Not really, you are still a stranger to me. I shouldn't even be talking to you.”

I take the last sip of my peppermint hot chocolate and look around the little store.

Jaxon pulls out a pen from his apron and rips off a tiny piece of paper from his pocket.

“So we can get to know each other and you tell me why you're sad.” I laugh a little and look at the slip of paper. It has his name and number in really good handwriting.

“Uh sure.” I nod and put his number in my phone.

Jaxon drums a tune on the table and asks, “so what's your name?”

“Ella.” I say shyly and go to take another sip but pout when I remember I finished my medium cup.

Jaxon smiles and stands up. “That's a cute name, do you want another one?” He points to the cup and I shake my head.

“No I'm good. Anyways, I don't have the money.” I stand and notice how close I am in height to Jaxon. I came to the middle of his forehead meaning he is around 5 feet 8 inches.

“When do you end?” I ask and he says around eight. I nod and bid him goodbye before walking home.

———

a/n:

I'm actually really mad at my mom, she kept fueling the fire with my step dad's and hers argument. I just can't stand it.