SHARE THAT SMILE

Jaxon Merch

12/25

When I got home, I sat down to start watching TV when my phone started ringing. I look at it and see it's Ella.

"Hey Ella, what's up?"

I smiled involuntarily and laid down on the couch, still watching the TV show.

"My parents are fighting and I hate it."

I sit up upon hearing her choke out a cry.

"Do you want me to pick you up? You can spend the night if you'd like..."

"Uh, I don't know. Can we just talk so I don't hear them?"

I nod, but realize she can't hear a nod.

"Yea sure. But before anything, can I ask what they're fighting about and especially since it's Christmas?"

I hear Ella take a shaky breath and my heart almost breaks.

"Just something happened years ago, everyone tries to put the blame on someone else in the family."

"Ok, well what do you want to talk about?"

"Can you come pick m-me up?"

I frown, but get up. I slip my jacket on while telling Ella I'd be there no more than five minutes.

When I got to Ella's house, she was sitting outside and I jogged up to her. She looked up when I am a few feet away. She stands up and pulls me away from the house.

But Ella wasn't quick enough because I heard a woman yell, "it's all your fault!"

I look at Ella and see her hand go up to her eyes and then she let's go of my hand she was holding while dragging me away. I get in the car after she gets in and I drive away.

No one says a word until I unlocked my door and let her in.

"Ella, please talk to me," I say and stop her pacing by holding her shoulders and then sliding my hands down to her hips.

She looks up and shakes her head.

"Ella," I plead "please. Just tell me what's going on?"

Ella doesn't say anything, but just walks closer and wraps her arms around me. My heart races and I hope she doesn't notice, or just doesn't say anything when she does find out.

I kiss the crown of her head and think of what I could say to make her feel better.

I could talk about something funny.

Oh, or something Minni said.

Or offer her hot choco...