Chapter 2

Draco made his way to class. He had plenty of time, so he was in no particular hurry.

He had made it all the way past Christmas, but now he needed - craved - skin contact with Harry. Just touching his hand. It gave him the energy to sustain himself.

Anyone just recently around Harry or related to him helped but couldn't fix the problem.

This class was potions - with Harry. Draco scowled. He hated the boy. A voice inside his head whispered at him to be nicer.

Draco tilted his head suddenly. The voice... it sounded feminine.

Yes. I'm Allysia, it whispered, a soothing, whispering voice. Don't be mad at your mate. It's not his fault.

Who are you? He thought angrily.

Allysia... your veela side. You're a submissive - your veela side is female. Let me control your words, Draco. You need help. I-

Draco shook his head violently, and the voice dissolved into his mind. He opened the door and tried to refrain from stomping in.

Stupid Allysia. He could now feel her presence, lingering in the back of his mind, influencing his decisions. He didn't like it. In fact, he hated it.

***

After class, Draco had an idea. He headed down the hall, seeing Harry just ahead. Shoving Allysia firmly out of his mind, he pushed past Harry, brushing hands in the process.

"Watch where you're going, Potter," Draco sneered and continued down the hallway.

Glancing back, Draco met Harry's eyes. Draco immediately turned his head again. He felt guilty - Harry hadn't been doing anything.

Allysia, he warned.

Allysia laughed - a light, silky laugh. I'm not doing anything, she said, her innocent tone not fooling Draco.

It's a submissive's job to make sure their mate is pleased and happy. The dominant's job is to protect the submissive. Neither of you is accomplishing that right now, Allysia chided.

Draco scowled, but his hand fluttered to just below his throat, nourishing the energy he had gained from skin contact with Harry.

He may need you some day. You need to be ready, Allysia begged. Please, you have to try. You-

Draco shook his head violently. Some people looked at him weirdly, but Draco didn't care. Crabbe and Goyle were trailing him, he noted.

Draco clenched and unclenched his palms. Then he sighed.

Tonight, I'll give you one chance to explain yourself. I need help. I hate Harry, but he's my mate - stuck with me forever. Don't answer. You have tonight.

***

Draco hurried down the hallway. It had a little section leading off from it, ending abruptly. It had a window seat.

Draco sat in it. The rain was splattering the window. Draco secretly loved the sound of rain.

"What do you want? Can you be here?" Draco sighed tiredly, sure to keep his voice down. "Or are you part of me?"

Will you let me take control of you? Not forever, just for a few moments. It will feel a bit like being in a balloon. You can manipulate the outside - me - but not fully control it.