Chapter 3

Harry was walking the halls with his invisibility cloak which he had just received for Christmas. He was restless and needed to walk off some of his energy.

Suddenly, he heard a voice. A light, tinkling laugh.

Harry followed it. He found a girl sitting in a window seat. She had long, blond hair and sparkling silver eyes.

And slender brown wings.

Harry gaped in astonishment. He moved forward but found a shield there. He also sensed a silencing charm, but for some reason, it didn't affect him.

Harry sat, crossing his legs. For a while, the girl just talked, like someone was there, answering unasked questions and such.

Then the girl started to sing.

Harry forgot how to speak. He forgot his own name. He stared, dumbstruck, at the girl, each word strung into a melody.

When she finally stopped, Harry realized he was hardly breathing. The girl stood up and waved her wand to remove the shield.

Harry got up, and walking as fast as he could, walked away from the area, begging she couldn't hear him.

***

Draco snapped his head up. Did he hear faint footsteps? Barely audible, but there.

Someone's here, he thought softly. Under an invisibility cloak. They were watching us... no, watching you.

"I didn't say your name," Allysia whispered. "Or your gender, for that matter."

Draco banged his fists on the wall of the bubble. He felt like he was falling, then he blinked and saw the world around him.

He was back in his own body. He frantically reached up and felt his hair. Even as he touched it, it was retracting back to its normal height. "That's a relief."

Really? Allysia said grumpily. I was just getting used to being in a body again.

"Well..." Draco tried to think of a comeback but just shrugged. "Screw you."

Excuse me? Allysia asked, her voice torn between amusement and chiding. That's no way to speak to yourself.

"I'm not speaking to myself, I'm-" Draco stopped. "Is anyone there?"

Silence met his words, but Draco put his hand on his wand. He quickened his footsteps back to the Slytherin dormitory.

Once he was in his bed, he tried talking with Allysia through thoughts.

So... Now that you're in my head... Am I going to start liking Harry? Draco thought. 

Oh, my dear boy, she whispered. Even though she was only eleven, Draco could tell she was much smarter than she let on. You started a long time ago.

***

Even though Harry knew the mysterious winged girl wasn't going to be at breakfast, he found himself looking at all the tables.

First the Hufflepuff table, then Ravenclaw, then, reluctantly, his gaze slid over to the Slytherin table.

And his eyes met Draco's.

Draco was staring back intently, gray eyes searching Harry's. His hand, in a flash, was at the base of his throat. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately, Harry noticed. Maybe it was a habit.