Chapter 5

Draco put his hand on his throat. With Harry following Allysia every night during school, sometimes she took energy from him, which kept both Allysia and Draco stable.

Once the bond was made - if ever - the constant need for contact would disappear, and Draco would rely on the bond's strength, which would dissolve if Harry got severely injured or killed.

The week before Hogwarts, Draco asked Allysia something.

"What would it be like if we... merged?" Draco said awkwardly.

When you're in charge, I can see through your eyes, and control your words sometimes. However, it's your voice, Allysia started explaining.

"In charge?" Draco interrupted.

Allysia didn't answer, just continued. You yourself will not change much. Your hair will be a little longer, eyes a little brighter, and you will have a little of my allurement.

And vice versa. Sometimes I will be in charge, and you can see through your eyes and can only control my words. Here, your allurement will be stronger and your movement more graceful, Allysia added. Each morning when you wake up, you're either more Allysia or more Draco. And it can shift during the day.

"Like a gender fluid person?" Draco asked.

Allysia hesitated. Sort of like that. You can still release your hold and turn fully to me, and vice versa. But normally, we will share a body. Are you thinking of doing it?

"Why do other veelas do it later?" Draco asked, lying down on his bed. "Like, fifth or sixth year?"

Their bonds aren't as strong. They only start talking to each other - usually - in the fourth year. And transform into each other a year or two later.

"Can I do it? Now?" Draco asked. "Before we go to school?"

Allysia didn't respond, but Draco felt an odd tingling sensation traveling through his body. It focused on the area right below his throat, in his scalp, and eyes. 

Abruptly it stopped.

It worked! Allysia crowed.

Draco jumped. It sounded like Allysia was standing right next to him instead of being in his head. This'll take some getting used to, he sighed.

Go look in the mirror, Allysia urged. 

Draco walked into the bathroom and glanced in the mirror. His jaw dropped at what he saw. He had changed.

His hair, which used to be short, now brushed his shoulders. Draco's eyes were normally dark gray, but now they were silvery gray. And he looked like he was glowing.

Am I in control? Draco thought. I can move myself and stuff.

"But I can control your words," Allysia said slyly. Well, no. Draco said. But he didn't mean to. 

"So can I," Draco said firmly. "And please don't do that during school unless it's an answer to the question the teacher is asking. I don't want people getting nervous."

Ooh, I can read your mind now! Allysia exclaimed happily.

Draco imagined he could read her's, too, but didn't bother. He took a ponytail and tied his hair up. He couldn't wait to tell his mother.

***

Draco nervously tried to find a train. He had cut his hair so it only reached mid-neck, but it still had a silky texture to it.