Chapter 6

Draco sat between Crabbe and Goyle, not meeting Pansy's or Blaise's eye. He knew Pansy was matchmaking in her head and Blaise was still disgruntled. 

Well, let me be in charge! Allysia said brightly. I'll walk right up to Harry and say-

Do not complete that sentence, Draco threatened. Or I won't let you be in charge tonight.

That shut her up pretty quick. Draco tried to concentrate purely on his food, but his gaze kept wandering to the Gryffindor table.

Pansy noticed. "Checking out-"

"You don't complete that sentence either, Parkinson," Draco snapped. "Gosh dangit, why are people so annoying!"

Pansy looked mildly offended for a second, then leaned forward again. "I need to talk to you about this when we get back to our dorms."

"Fine," Draco sighed, picking at his food.

***

Harry kept looking at Draco. He had definitely changed. He looked familiar, but Harry couldn't place it. It was driving him nuts.

"Harry, mate, you okay?" Ron said, waving his hand in front of Harry's face.

Harry blinked, then looked at Ron. "Yeah, I'm fine. What is it?"

"Who were you looking at, Harry?" Hermione asked, leaning across the table, trying to pinpoint where Harry's eyes were.

"No one," Harry said, successfully keeping the blush off his face. "Just checking something." Harry wanted to spill everything but didn't dare. 

"So Fudge just let you off?" Ron asked again.

Harry nodded. "Yes, Ron, I've told you that like a dozen times now." Despite himself, he glanced towards the Slytherin table. Why did Draco look so familiar all of a sudden?

***

Draco sighed, gracefully settling himself onto the sofa. "What do you want, Pansy?"

Pansy flopped backward onto the spot next to him. "You have to do something! Allysia must really want-"

"I don't care what Allysia wants," Draco spat, and he felt the area beneath his throat throb, and changed directions. "Well, I do, just not with Potter." 

"Harry," Pansy said slyly.

"Potter," Draco scowled.

"Har - ry," Pansy enunciated. "Say it with me. H-" she broke off at the look on Draco's face. "Okay, fine. Do whatever the heck you want."

"Look, I get you're trying to help, but I would really prefer if you left me alone," Draco snapped.

Pansy mock gasped, and put her hands on his shoulders and shook him lightly. "Draco! How dare you say that to your dearest friend!"

Draco raised an eyebrow at the dramatic girl. This is going to be a long year.

***

Draco watched the door. He had arrived a couple minutes early to set up his stuff. A couple other people were here, but he was looking for a specific watching.

You know, I just realized how cliché this whole thing is, Allysia commented. Like the whole, 'we're enemies but we're destined to be together and we eventually fall in love' getup.

Draco rolled his eyes. Allysia...

Fine, fine, she said snottily, and then laughed slightly. Ooh, look, there he is!