Part 3

That night, after Dean had showered and declared his refusal to ever hold Sam again, Mary had agreed to allow Sam to sleep on the mattress on the floor in her room. That way if there was a problem, there would be someone to deal with it and if he somehow rolled to the edge of the bed, he wouldn't hurt himself if he fell off.

It was brilliant plan. Up until the moment somewhere past midnight when Sam woke up screaming. Mary groggily stood up and looked down at him, 'Another nightmare.' Mary picked him up and started rocking him, trying her best not to yawn.

A few minutes went by and he was still screaming, albeit much lessened in volume. Mary looked up when there was a soft knock on her door, "Yes?"

"Mary, it's Castiel. Do you mind me coming in?"

"Not at all, please."

Castiel stepped through the door and looked down at the baby. Sam was still crying but he seemed to be trying to show less emotion in front of his angelic friend, though it didn't work to well. Cas looked up to Mary again and saw her tiredness clear in her features.

"Perhaps I should look after him. I don't need sleep, you do," Castiel suggested.

"You don't have to do that Castiel, just because you're awake all night doesn't mean you're obliged to look after a baby."

"No, it's not just that, I want to help."

Mary looked between Castiel and Sam a few times, then decided it was probably for the best.

"Are you going to put him in your room then?" Mary asked as she handed her youngest over to the angel's outstretched arms.

"Yes. Don't worry about him, just get some rest."

Mary nodded and walked back to her bed as Castiel closed the door.

Castiel looked down at his friend- who at some point during the conversation had stopped crying. Cas smiled at him and Sam brought a hand up and began waving it towards Cas's face. Cas realised that if Sam was fully grown, that gesture would have been a pat on the shoulder and a way of saying 'thanks'.

Castiel walked back to his room, softly talking to Sam in attempt to put him back to sleep. "When I saw Dean he looked so affronted. I don't think he will ever get the stench of vomit out of that shirt, I doubt he thinks so either. He spent at least an hour in the bathroom, brushing his teeth over and over, then trying to hand wash his shirt and scrub his face clean..."

Sam listened to Castiel's softened words with much amusement. He knew most of what he projected onto his brother had run down his neck and shirt, but a sufficient amount had landed right on Dean's mouth-which had been opened. It didn't help that Sam had actually vomited two consecutive times, he had fully emptied his sensitive stomach. Luckily Mary had fed him again.

Cas entered his own room and stood for a few minutes talking softly as he watched Sam's eyes close slowly. When he heard the slow and deep intake of breath he slowly placed Sam in the middle of his bed.

Cas stood with one knee on the bed so he was still hovering over the sleeping infant. He rearranged the blankets to cover Sam. Castiel had always loved children, they had a particular innocence and peacefulness to them. Cas smiled lopsidedly and reached out to softly brush the top of Sam's head.

Castiel stood up fully and walked around the bed to the other side of the room. He picked up the book he had previously been reading and turned to the yellowed page titled 'Ageing Spells'. Castiel had looked through the Men of Letters library all afternoon for anything that would remotely help them. The book he currently held in his hands was the best line of research he found.

He scrutinised the words on the page, the front was small and the lettering seemed indecipherable. Without realising, he was reading the script aloud in some kind of effort to make it easier to understand. He was muttering to himself for a few minutes before he understood that what he was reading was a counter-spell. It needed a few ingredients but he knew that he could find them all in the bunker.

He turned back around and looked down at Sam's unrecognisable body. He figured that he could collect the equipment needed for the spell then discuss the possibility of using it with Dean and Mary in the morning. He will obviously also need Sam's permission.

Sam began to twitch in his sleep and his arm jerked violently. Cas reached out towards Sam's hand, the infant's small fingers wrapping around Castiel's thumb. Sam's movements began to lessen then calm down completely, Cas smiled triumphantly.

Castiel silently left the room in search of what he needed. He kept a steady surveillance of Sam's mental state the whole time he was out.

Approximately 37 minutes later Cas had located everything he may need. He knew that Rowena had warned them all about trying to change Sam back, but this was a manuscript from the legendary Men of Letters. The results couldn't be that devastating, right?