-Chapter Three-

Tomlinson Household, Five Years Ago

-

"Louis?" Mark peeked his head in Louis' room. "I have to go to work, will you tell your mother that I won't be back until later tonight?"

"Sure dad," Louis hummed. His step-father grinned, then closed the door to let Louis continue his conversation with his dog.

"Okay, Blue, what about these ones?" Louis held up his brand new lavender shoes to show his oblivious puppy that was sitting on his bed. Blue quirked his small white head in confusion. Louis giggled to himself and shook his head.

"Why am I talking to my dog?" He asked himself. He set down his shoes and went over to pet Blue's head before he walked out of the bedroom. Blue followed him out and down the stairs to where Niall was soon to be arriving.

Louis sat down at the end of the stairs, and Blue plopped himself down on his lap. Louis mindlessly pet his fur, Blue falling asleep from the comfort.

"Man, you sure are one lazy puppy," Louis whispered. He carefully picked a nearly asleep Blue and brought him over to his dog bed. There he set Blue down and placed his favorite toy (lavender of course) just in case his dog wanted to teethe again.

Blue was a Maltese-Poodle mix adopted by the Tomlinson's just a few weeks ago. Louis wanted to name him Lavender, but Jay told him that it was too long of a name. It took a bit to figure out a color close to lavender but without so many syllables.

Louis had then remembered Harry from down the street say that his favorite color was blue, so he went with it. Blue fit right in the Tomlinson home, and he seemed to be very intrigued with Louis' lavender infatuation.

The doorbell rang, and Louis stood up from where he was sitting next to Blue's sleeping body. He jogged to the door and opened it, revealing his best friend, Niall Horan.

"Nialler!"

"Loueh!" They exclaimed at the same time. Luckily Blue didn't wake up to the noise. He never woke up from loud sounds like that.

"I haven't seen you since school ended!" Niall said, walking in. Louis laughed and closed the door.

"Nialler, that was two hours ago," He replied as he giggled.

They walked into the living room, and Niall crouched down to lightly pet Blue before sitting down with Louis. "But I'm leaving for Ireland during the holidays, and I'm not gonna see you tomorrow," Niall pouted.

Louis laughed again and grabbed the remote. He switched the television on, and it played some cartoon that Louis forgot the name of.

Him and Niall had been friends since they were in third grade, when Niall was moved to Doncaster because of his mum's new job. He had an older brother named Greg, who was currently in his last year of junior high.

Niall was awkward since the beginning. And he was obsessed with any type of food. He never felt like he fit in; every other student was British and discussing their favorite football team while he was Irish and knew more about rugby.

That was when Louis met him, playing with a football at the benches. Niall had introduced himself kindly and they hit it off like that.

It was as if they already knew each other. Niall never cared about how Louis was obsessed with lavender. At times he would even help Louis pick out his outfit.

And three years later, they were still as close as they were the day Louis saw him at the benches.

"I saw Harry walking home earlier," Niall said out of thin air. Louis gaped and looked at him bewildered.

"Where did that come from?"

Niall shrugged, "I dunno. I thought you still had a crush on him-"

"Shush!" Louis interrupted him by pressing his hand against Niall's mouth. He felt Niall close his mouth so he pulled his palm back.

"My mum doesn't know that I like boys!" Louis whisper-yelled. Niall had an apologetic look and raised his hands in defense.

"Sorry, Lou, I forgot," He said. He leaned in, "But just so you know, he was walking with his group of friends and was holding hands with a girl."

Louis made a face that was a mix between longing, jealousy, and confusion. Since he could remember, he had always had a crush on the older boy. But despite living across from each other, the two have barely spoke.

"Do you think he likes her?" Louis asked timidly. Niall shrugged, "I guess. I'm sure he doesn't hold hands with every girl he sees, so."

Louis pouted a bit, "I wonder why he likes her."

Niall scoffed, "If, Louis. If he likes her in that way," He leaned back into the couch, "And you should know more than anybody, if is good."

That got Louis to smile, because Niall knew that movie references would always cheer him up. "Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Well, I really just wanted to stop by today. Mum needs me back home by five so I can get some sleep before we leave," Niall stood up. Louis followed and led him out the door.

He hugged Niall before the Irish lad walked out the door completely. "Have a good holiday break," He said as they pulled away.

Niall smiled, "You too, Lou. And happy birthday."

Louis thanked him before saying goodbye once more. He lingered there for a moment, leaning against the doorway like his mum did whenever him and Lottie were biking along the sidewalk. He watched Niall get on his skateboard and roll down the road, soon disappearing from sight.

When Louis looked up, he stumbled back a couple steps. Harry was leaning against his doorway across from him, talking to a brunette girl as he did. He could help but stare as Harry leaned in and kissed the girl briefly, before the girl walked away from the house.

Harry's smile stayed on as he looked up. The smile faded quickly though, when him and Louis made eye contact.

Louis gulped and politely smiled, bringing his hand up to give a subtle wave. Harry returned it with a blank nod before he opened the door and went into his house.

Louis backed up slowly, feeling a bit dejected from that brief moment. He closed the door and just stood there, staring at the dark brown color.

But Louis couldn't help but start blushing at the sight of Harry. The older boy seemed to be taking puberty well. Of course he had some acne and flaws that came with growing up, but Louis thought he looked super attractive.

If only he could talk to Harry one day.

-

Harry removed his jersey as he walked into his room. He threw the fabric into the hamper before wandering shirtless into his closet, rummaging for a clean house shirt.

He found his grey muscle tee and shrugged, slipping it on his body. He found some clean sweatpants as well, and took off his shorts.

After changing, he jogged down his stairs and collapsed on his couch. Harry groaned at the impact. His arms were extremely sore from having to do fifty push ups in a row every twenty minutes of football practice.

His mum had gone out for the day with some friends, whilst his step-father was out to work, like always. Robin was rarely home, too busy with his company.

He turned the television onto some American game that had an oval shaped ball. He passively watched it, his mind gazing off into the distance.

He was surprised to see Louis still wearing lavender, after all these years of living across the street. He always thought that it was just a phase that would pass after a year or so. But it's been a few years since the family had moved in, and he still saw Louis walk home wearing a lavender sweater.

Harry was also surprised to find that Louis didn't grow much. He still had child like features and was still not tall enough to look at his mother in the eye.

Meanwhile Harry was sprouting lightening fast. He was just a couple inches away from being the tallest of his family.

He had gotten used to seeing Louis wearing lavender when they were younger, but the last time he fully got to talk to Louis was back in sixth grade, when Mitchell pushed him down.

He never encountered Louis after that, especially since he switched to junior high the year after. He got on the football team and scored a girlfriend (or whatever title you put on a girl you occasionally hold hands with) within his seventh year.

Harry was too busy to realize that he grew out of his action figures and his monster trucks. He was so preoccupied with his football team that he didn't realize he had grown out of the color blue and made his favorite color black.

But Louis? The boy seemed to have just slightly changed appearances. But nothing else had grown out of him.

Guess some people don't grow out of things.

-

Please Vote

Comment

Share

Thank you for reading!

-stylesonlyx