Chapter 2

EDITED - 10/21/18

________________________________________

'I know he's not perfect in your eyes,

but somehow he's flawless in mine.

- Unknown

________________________________________

YVANNA

  After we arrive at the Institute, Jace starts pacing back and forth in front of me in the training room. My brother is currently having second thoughts on the girl earlier. "She is not your responsibility Jace." I repeat for what feels like the hundredth time trying to get through his thick skull. The Lightwood siblings are just a few meters ahead of us bickering on God knows what. He finally stops and sits down beside me on one of the benches.

  He puts his head in his hands and I place a hand on his shoulder. "She might be in trouble, she just saw "people" vaporized into thin air." He insists and I let out a sigh. He was right, even a Shadowhunter who has no knowledge about the Shadow World for years will start questioning about themselves.

  I can't believe what I'm going to say next. "Fine, if it eases your mind I'll go with you to find that girl." I say and he looks at me and gives me a small smile. Knowing my brother if I didn't let him do what he wants, he won't go down without a fight. "But as I've said before Jonathan, she's not your responsibility." I state and he nods.

  I feel like I'm the older sister right now and he knows whenever I use his first name, I'm serious. "Come on, let's go while the two are still bickering on God knows what." He says and I nod. Both of my seraph blades are still tucked in my boots alongside the dagger. We hurry out of the Institute and back to Pandemonium when it starts to rain.

  My hair starts to stick to my neck and the exposed skin. "How are we going to find this girl?" I ask over the pouring rain. "Maybe we should check the VIP room, maybe she dropped something that could be used to track her." He explains and we run our steles over our glamour before entering the club.

  We check the VIP room and I see a strand of red hair near the spot where Jace pushed her earlier. "Jace, I found a strand." I say and he rushes over before picking the hair up. It wasn't just one strand, more like a bunch. He starts tracking as I wait patiently. He finally looks up with a confident smile. "She's at an apartment, not far from here." He says and I nod before heading out.

---

  We reach an apartment at Greenpoint, Brooklyn. The rain starts pouring harder as we enter the apartment to see it's a trashed antique shop. "Someone was here." I state and draw out my blade and so does Jace. We stalk towards the stairs and climb it. "This could save Jocelyn." A woman says and I look at Jace who nods that means I wasn't just hearing things.

  Due to our activated soundless rune, we get to walk around silently. "I can't think! Someone kidnapped my mother!" A familiar voice yells, I'm guessing that's the girl from earlier. "You know more than you think you do, Clary Fray." The woman says and I hear growling.

  My eyes widen before looking at Jace. We hear yells and screams before we rush towards the scene. The demon has the girl - whom we now know is Clary Fray - backed into a corner. I stake my blade in the demon's back, the demon disintegrates and we look at a nearly-unconscious Clary.

  I look at her curiously, she doesn't have any runes on her body so she must be a Shadowhunter in hiding, but why would she hide? "What, no "thank you?" for saving your life?" My brother asks and I roll my eyes at him. We look for any injuries to notice that her hair is sticking to her neck and her makeup is smudged, doesn't say a lot but she must have been caught in the rain on the way home.