Chapter 18

EDITED - 03/05/19

______________________________________________

'Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain.

It's not something you learn in school.

But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship,

You really haven't learned anything.' 

Muhammad Ali

______________________________________________

New York Institute; Night of August 30, 2016

YVANNA

  I look up at the ceiling and wonder, have I done something wrong? I know that I shouldn't be this weak but why am I? I shouldn't have let emotions cloud my judgment, I was raised like that. Ever since I met Alec, the walls I've built around myself broke down. I'm not accusing Alec or anything but he's brought out something different in me.

  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I shouldn't be overthinking things. Maybe it's time to let Jace choose someone else over me. Maybe I shouldn't let me be his top priority because I know that one day I won't. One day I know that my top priority will be my husband and our kids – if ever we have kids.

  I sit up slowly, still feeling the pain on my upper arm. I look down at my shirt to see that it's different from what I wore during the attack. I suddenly remember that Alec was attacked too and he carried me from the infirmary to his room. It must have hurt since he's not fully healed yet.

  I slowly stand up and grab one of Alec's jackets before heading to the ops center. "Alec's right, there's nothing we can do to stop this interrogation." Jace states. What is he talking about? I hide behind one of the pillars and activated my hearing rune. "You're on Alec's side now?" My parabatai asks while looking at Jace.

  What are they talking about? "We swore to protect each other, of course he's on my side." Alec states smugly. "I'm not picking sides, Jace Wayland is Switzerland." Jace explains and I roll my eyes, is Clary in Switzerland with him? "We have to got to find Valentine, let's let this play out Izzy. Meliorn might have some important information." Jace states before I turn on my heel and leave.

  This wouldn't have happened if we gave the Cup back to the Clave. I don't care if Clary is going to use it to get her mother back. Everything that's happening right now is because of Clary. It's because of her, we're having a hard time with the Clave. It's because of her that we're in deep trouble. It's because of her that my brother and I are not in good terms. It's all because of her and I hate her for it.

  "Yvanna Wayland," I stop dead in my tracks before turning around to see Lydia looking at me. "Is there a problem Lydia?" I ask seriously. She walks toward me and I see Alec and the rest looking at us. "I'm in need of your help in searching Clarissa Fairchild's room." She explains and I look at her curiously.

  "Why do you need to search her room?" I ask with my arms crossed. As much as I hate Clary, she deserves a little bit of privacy. "We're looking for the Mortal Cup and since the Seelie Meliorn admitted that the Cup is here with her." She explains and I feel my hands ball into fists.

  So Meliorn told them, we're really in deep water now. "So why do you need my assistance for that?" I ask and I notice Alec walking towards us. "I can't count on Jace and Isabelle on finding the Cup as they are fond of her, but you-"