Chapter 23

EDITED - 04/02/19

___________________________________________________________________

'A happy marriage doesn't mean you have a perfect spouse or a perfect marriage.

It simply means you've chosen to look

beyond the imperfections in both.'

- Fawn Weaver

___________________________________________________________________

YVANNA

  I guide my blindfolded brother down the stairs. Izzy insisted on him being blindfolded so I obliged. As I help Jace navigate down the stairs, Izzy and Viv are helping Alec. "Ready? A couple more steps." I state gently as he lets out a sharp intake of breath. "We're almost there." I say calmly and I hear a sigh from Jace.

  I know he doesn't want this but I practically forced him by blindfolding him and he had no choice but to follow. "Alright Abi." He mutters before I stop near an ottoman. "You trust me, don't you?" I ask and he lets out a scoff.

  I punch his shoulder lightly and he rubs it slowly. "No, not really and there are far more important things than this Abi." He explains. "You two need this Jace, do it for me. Please?" I beg and he lets out a sigh before nodding. I break into a wide grin before placing my hands on his shoulder

  I notice his hands are balling into fists then releasing them, he does this a couple of times. "Now, count to five and take your blindfold off." I say and I turn around to start leaving. "Abi? I'm doing this for you." He says as I start heading up the stairs. "I know, that's why I love you big bro." I say before heading up the stairs and leaving Jace there.

---

ALEC

  I let out a sigh before removing my blindfold to see Jace in front of me. I look around to see we're in a room with club music blasting off the speakers. "Izzy and Yvanna said you wanted to talk." He says when he gets closer. "I don't know what they thought I wanted to say." I say with a shrug.

  He looks at me in shock and anger, the anger is more evident though. "Great, I guess I'll go. I've got work to do anyway." He states before walking away then I look at the wallpaper of the room. It depicts demons and people fighting, those people are a mixture of Shadowhunters and Downworlders.

  I hear his footsteps stop and I look at him. "You know what? They're right, we do need to talk." He says before walking towards me. "Okay well, it's my bachelor party. So, you go first." I say as I cross my arms in front of me. "I don't know how things got so messed up between us, but I do know my life has been a lot harder not having you to talk to." He starts and I look down at the ground.

  If Yvanna easily forgave her brother, I guess I can too. "Mine too." I say while looking at him before looking back down at the ground. "I know it seems like I've been making a lot of crazy choices lately. And I know you think that I was only thinking about myself and Clary, and I wasn't thinking about the consequences to anyone else, especially Yvanna." He says and I look up at him.

  He walks toward me. "All I can say is, I've been through a lot. But I only ever did what I thought was right, Alec but I never wanted to hurt you, I'm sorry." He says. To be honest, hearing Jace apologize is rare. I've been with the guy for a decade and hearing him apologize feels different. "I know. You know we just got caught in all this drama." I explain and he smiles while letting out a scoff.