Chapter 21

EDITED - 03/22/19

__________________________________________________________________

'Sisters and brothers are the truest, purest forms of love, family and friendship.

Knowing when to hold you,

and when to challenge you,

but always being a part of you.'

- Carol Ann Albright Eastman

__________________________________________________________________

*Mature content ahead, viewer discretion is advised. Read at your own risk.*

New York Institute; September 1, 2016

YVANNA

  I look at my phone to see no message from anyone in particular. I was secretly hoping for Jace to message me, to at least inform me that father is alive. It's been hours and he hasn't messaged me about it. I also hope he gets here soon to hand the Mortal Cup to the Clave. That Cup is my parabatai's only hope from not being banished.

  I hear footsteps walking towards me and I look up to see Alec. "The trial is starting, Magnus isn't here yet." He states in worry. "He'll arrive, I'll wait for him here. Be with your sister." I say calmly and he kisses my forehead gently before heading back to the conference hall where they made a makeshift court room.

  A portal appears at the entrance and Magnus comes out of it. "Thank you Magnus, for coming. The trial is starting." I say before we head towards the room. I sit down beside Alec as Magnus heads towards the front where two tables are placed. He places his briefcase down before heading towards a Silent Brother who holds the Mortal Sword in front of him.

  I hold Alec's hand in mine before giving it a squeeze which he returns. "Will I survive if I touch it?" Magnus asks sarcastically. "If you tell the truth." The Inquisitor states before Magnus places his hands on the blade of the sword. "By the power of this sword, do you swear to defend your client with integrity and honesty?" A Silent Brother asks and I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

  I fish it out discreetly before seeing a call. "I have to take this." I mutter before looking at Alec who nods. I walk out of the room quietly before answering the call. "Van, what's happening at the trial? I need to know, I'm worried sick here." She says in worry. "Magnus is in there defending her." I explain before peering into the door to see the trial starting.

  Even though I can't hear what he's saying, I do hope he defends Izzy successfully. "Please, I need to know what's happening in there." She begs in worry. "I'll bring my phone with me in court, you can hear the conversation clearly if you used your enhanced hearing rune." I explain and I hear her stele running over her skin.

  Well, I guess it's time to head back in. I lock my phone before sitting down beside Alec. "Viv's on the phone." I whisper to Alec and he looks at me in shock. "She wants to hear if Magnus can defend your sister." I explain and he holds my hand before giving me a weak smile. I know that he isn't sure of what Magnus is capable of, I am too but this is Izzy's only chance of freedom.

  The trial goes on as bickers erupt between Magnus and Inquisitor Herondale. "You're out of order." She says in calm anger. "No, this thing is out of order. It's not Isabelle's fault, it's the Cup! Put the Cup on trial!" He yells before walking back to his table. I guess Magnus can be comedic and serious at the same time. I can see why Viv fell for him.