Chapter 20

EDITED - 03/20/19

_____________________________________________

'There can be no triumph without loss.

No victory without suffering.

No freedom without sacrifice.'

Die Rückkehr des Köings, The Lord of the Rings

_____________________________________________

YVANNA

  As Alec is speaking to Izzy, I stayed in my room while looking at my window. When I said killing someone without remorse, I remembered I killed an ancient vampire back in 2009 when I was just thirteen. He was my very first kill as a Shadowhunter and my very first and last Downworlder kill. To be honest, he wasn't even part of any clan in New York City.

  When I staked him with a wooden stake, he desiccated before I remove the stake. He was drinking a mundane dry, just why I killed him. He seemed noble and respectable so I never thought he was a vampire when I met him. When he came back, I spoke to him and he was very specific in his use of words.

  He really sounded so ancient and of noble class. He was wearing a suit that time if I could recall.

---

[FLASHBACK]

Central Park; August 2009

  She held her seraph blade in front of him as the man laughed. "Why would you think that a simple seraph blade can kill an Original vampire like me?" He asks with a light smirk. "I have never seen anyone like you here in New York. Who are you?" She asks angrily as the man grabs her by the waist and speeds them to a more quiet part of the park.

  She looked at him in shock before removing his grip on her. "I won't ask again." She states impatiently. "Let's just say that I come from a family of vampires, we are the first every vampires to have ever walked on this earth." He explains while grabbing a twig. "So you call yourself an Original vampire just because of that?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.

  He chuckles lightly. "You young Shadowhunters, you think you know all about the Downworld but you are wrong. I don't belong to any clan and I am far superior than the whole Downworld and Shadow World combined." He states confidently. "It seems like it as you didn't disintegrate when I staked you." She states before placing her seraph blade in her utility belt.

  This was her first mission alone and she's having a conversation with a thousand-year old vampire. You don't get that every day. "May I know who you are?" She asks and he smirks. "I like to keep my identity private, Yvanna." He states and her eyes widen in shock. "As I've said before, I'm much more powerful than any vampire in your world." He states before adjusting his cuff links.

  She looks at him weirdly. "Our world? What's the difference between mine and yours?" I ask. "To answer your question, none of these vampires are sired by me or by my siblings. They were created while my family and I were spelled by our own mother." He explains, so their mother is the reason behind their demise.

  She examines him quickly and discreetly, he looks like he was turned in his early to mid-twenties. "Why are you here exactly?" She asks and he smirks at her once more. "Now, that's none of your concern." He explains before stepping towards her. "It is of my concern when a vampire that isn't part of any clan is roaming New York streets after draining a mundane of blood." She explains and he raises an eyebrow at her.