Chapter 13

Video = previously.

With her mind on what Professor McGonagall had revealed to them about the Chamber of Secrets to the class that morning, Lucy hardly noticed any of the Quidditch match until the end when the jinxed ball hit Harry, how he caught the snitch, and how Lockhart caused Harry to lose the bone in his right arm.

After the match Lucy drifted around the halls until she came across Professor Sprout. Only a moment of discussion led to Lucy volunteering to plant the extra Mandragora while Sprout tended to her other business.

"Now, you remember how to plant a mandrake don't you?" Sprout asked.

"Yes, I do." Lucy assured her.

"Very well then. Oh! All the earmuffs have gone. There should be an old one in that closet." She pointed before leaving Lucy to herself.

Lucy prepared pots for planting before she began to search the closet for earmuffs. Not finding any, Lucy turned back towards the table, stumbled over a loose stone, and bumped into the table. A pot crashed onto the floor with a thunk. Luckily it didn't shatter into pieces, but a nasty crack ran through it.

Unfortunately, this particular pot had a mandrake within it. Lucy took a deep breath, grabbed a hold of the leave stems protruding from it's head and pulled. The wrinkly creature, know for it's ghastly and horrid screeching that could kill you when it was fully grown didn't make a sound.

It watched her with it's squinted eyes and held still as she carefully replanted it in a new container. Deciding to test her theory Lucy tugged a different mandrake from another pot. It didn't scream. Neither did the next one or the next or the one after that. 'How peculiar' Lucy thought. 'How very peculiar.'

Once Lucy had replanted all of the mandragora, and placed everything in their proper places, she finally glanced at the clock. It was time for dinner! She was going to be late! With that realization Lucy raced off.