Chapter 23

Time Skip

Time Skip. February.

 Lucy was in the back of the library when the announcement came on. "All students are to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers come to the second floor corridor immediately."  

It was only after Lucy had finished the chapter, and put away all her books that she even left the library, and by then she was quite curious as to know what was going on so she headed for the second floor corridor.

Written on the wall in blood was "Her Skeleton will lie in the chamber forever".

50 years ago the chamber was opened, who was alive and at Hogwarts 50 years ago.....who that would actually tell her something? Myrtle! Lucy raced for the bathroom only to slam into someone.

It was her dad. He was giving her a stern and disapproving look. Knowing that he would not want to involve her with anything to do with the chamber, she decided to drag him with her instead of telling him anything other than "Come on."

Lucy dashed off and only came to a halt when she saw the sink and the dark hole in the middle. Severus had finally caught up to her and was about to say something when Moaning Myrtle floated into view.

"Are you going to jump?" Myrtle inquired.

"That depends. Did you see anyone else jump down there already, and if so, who?" Lucy questioned.

"Harry and the two others." Myrtle giggled.

Lucy was about to jump when Myrtle added. "Oh, Lucy, beware of big yellow eyes."

Lucy thanked her for the warning and leapt down the hole before Severus could order her not to and was followed by a scowling Severus.

Bones. Thousands of them littered the floor. "Stay here." Severus commanded before strutting down a tunnel. Never being one to follow orders, after all, she was a queen, Lucy entered another tunnel.

It led out to a pathway with snake heads along it in front and a giant sculpted head to her left. It was as she inspected the head that she noticed a straight line at the neck. Lucy pushed by the crack and the stone gave way. The stone wall or door really, opened to a room bare of anything, except, an egg. The egg was slightly larger than a car tire and was a dark green color. (see above) It was surprisingly warm, Lucy learned when she touched it.

"Who are you?" A voice questioned. Lucy spun around to see that a boy, maybe 16, with dark hair and green eyes.

"I'm Lucy, who are you?" She returned.

"Tom Marvolo Riddle." He inclined his head. He tilted his head to the left slightly as he surveyed her. "So I'm not the only one." Tom mused. Then he just disappeared.

Lucy began to wander the tunnels when she heard yelling and crashes, but it echoed off the tunnel walls making it difficult to discern where they came from. Suddenly the yelling stopped and Tom appeared in front of her.

"Follow me." Tom commanded.

"Why?" Lucy demanded. She didn't like being ordered around.

"In a few minutes all the life I have left will be gone. I need to show you something before that happens." He explained with impatience. (This is after the diary was destroyed and it is the last remnants of the horcrux that will dissipate soon.)

Lucy followed him and soon found herself in the room of the egg but through a different pathway.

"This is a Basilisk egg it will hatch when a parselmouth says a certain phrase in parseltounge, but if 100 years goes by and it hasn't been hatched by then, it will die without having ever been born." Tom informed her.

"So you want me to take care of it and raise it?" Lucy asked.

"I don't care when you do, but some time in your lifetime, before 100 years pass." Tom replied.

"Why do you care so strongly about it?

 Most people don't like snakes, especially Basilisk snakes." Lucy questioned.

"I happen to like snakes." Tom told her.

Lucy, seeing that he was becoming transparent inquired, "What's the phrase?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Severus found Ron and an awake Lockhart.

"What happened?" Severus demanded.

"Well....." Ron hesitated

"Hello, do you live here?" Lockhart asked Severus, who just ignored him and looked pointedly at Ron.

"Lockhart's memory charm backfired and the rocks fell blocking Harry on the other side. He went on to find Ginny." Ron explained.

Severus scowl deepened and he started the tedious task of levitating rocks to clear an opening. By the time an opening big enough to get though was cleared Harry and Ginny had returned.

Once Harry had explained what had happened Severus sent them up with Fawkes, Dumbledore's phoenix, and returned to where he had left Lucy. Seeing it empty of people, though infuriating and worrisome, was not that surprising. 

"Point me" he cast and his wand directed him through the tunnels, and to Lucy in the chamber with the Basilisk egg.

She was alright. Severus sighed in relief which caused Lucy to look away from the egg to see him. "What happened to staying put?" Severus reminded.

"You know I don't like being ordered around, and I wasn't in any danger. I wandered around in the tunnels and found this room." Lucy excluded Tom and the egg which for some reason her dad didn't seem notice. She didn't know if he would accept the egg like she did. This Basilisk had done nothing wrong. It was innocent.

Also I know Lucy wasn't part of the action in this story but she will be in more of the action in the next one.