Mother's Approval

Chapter Eleven

Grant pulled up to Preston’s house, this time he walked up to the door and knocked. The door opened and a woman in here late forties stood in the doorway to greet him. She had the same blue eyes and blond hair as Preston. This must be his mother, the only person who was talking to him.

            “You must be Grant; it’s nice to finally meet you. I’m Preston’s mom Erin Shaw.” Preston’s mom said.

            “It’s nice to meet you as well.” Grant said.

            “Come in, Preston is still getting ready.” Erin said as she steps aside to let him in. When he walked in, Erin led him into the living room.

            “Can I get you something to drink?” Erin asked.

            “No I’m fine, can I ask you a question?” Grant asked.

            “Sure” Erin said.

            “How bad is it?” Grant asked.

            Erin knew exactly what Grant was asking. Preston must  not have given him all the details about what happen when he told them he was gay.

            “It hasn’t been easy on him that’s for sure. I know he wanted to tell us, but I get the feeling he wasn’t truly ready to tell us yet. I know waiting wouldn’t have made a difference to how everyone reacted, but I think if he had waited he could have said it better.” Erin said.

            “Has anyone talked to him since that day?” Grant asked

            “No, and I just feel so terrible about it. His father can barely look at him; his cousins haven’t been here since he told them. I know that he is trying so hard to hide how hurt he feels, but I know it’s killing him that they aren’t talking to him.” Erin said.

            “I wish there was something I could do to help him.” Grant said.

            “You being there for him is enough, he needs someone he can depend on right now. Since you have been there you’re better at helping him cope.” Erin said.

            “Well I’ll do everything I can to help him.” Grant said.

            “Thank you, I can see that you care a lot for my son.” Erin said.

“Well Mrs. Shaw I really do love your son and I hope he feels the same way about me.” Grant said.

“Please call me Erin, and I know he loves you as much as you love him. I’m just glad he found someone as nice as you.” Erin said.

            Preston had been standing on the other side of the wall as he listened to his mom and Grant talk. He was glad his mom liked Grant. Now he felt like his coming out wasn’t very bad.

“Hey mom, you haven’t been giving Grant the third degree have you?” Preston asked. He knew what they had been talking about, but they didn’t have to know that he knew.

“A mother must always look out for her child, even if it means grilling his boyfriend.” Erin said.

“So does Grant pass your approval?” Preston asked even though he already knew the answer.

“Well he is nice but I am just not too sure yet. I think I need to spend more time with him.” Erin said.

“Oh Erin believe me, before the day is over I think I will have won your approval.” Grant said as he winked at Preston; making him blush.  Preston still wasn’t use to having a guy openly flirt with him, especially in front of his mom.