Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

            It was a few days later before Ann Marie heard from Robert. They had a few more days before they had to leave for school. Robert wanted to hangout just the two of them.  Once they start school, they will not have too much free time for each other. She was waiting for Robert outside, ten minutes later she saw his car pull up.

            “Hey Robbie” she said as she got into the car, when she gave him a kiss she noticed the glasses were gone and he was back to wearing his contact lens

            “Hey babe, so where do you feel like going?” Robert asked as he put the car in drive.

            “Um how about the mall, I need to get a few more things.”

            “Ok sure let’s go.”

            Ann Marie wanted to ask him why he wasn’t more open with his emotions and why he doesn’t ever tell her what is bothering him. This was her only chance to do it; she wasn’t going to have another chance once school started.

            “Robbie we need to talk.” Robert had no idea what Ann Marie wanted to talk about, but he felt it might have something to do with how they need to be more romantic or something like that in the relationship.

            “Um yeah sure, what do you want to talk about?”

            “Ok I don’t really know how to say it, so I’m just going to come out and say it. Why is it that when I told you that I love you, you didn’t say it back?”

            Crap Robert thought, he knew that was going to come back and bite him on the butt. He has never told any girl he loved them. He just never felt like it was love and didn’t want to lie to them, “because I don’t love you.”

            “What?”

            “No don’t get me wrong I like you, but I’m just not in love with you. At least not yet, I think.”

            “What you mean not yet or that you’re not in love with me?”

            “Dammit Ann Marie what’s so hard to understand? I like you but you can’t force love on to someone who doesn’t feel that way yet.”

            “So you’re saying you might love me later on?”

            “Yes, I just need more time I guess.”

            “You guess you might love me later now?’

            Robert didn’t understand what Ann Marie’s problem was or why it was so hard for her to just get he wasn’t ready to say the L word yet.