Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

            It had been a few days before Robert finally heard from Preston. He wanted them to hangout on Friday at Preston’s house since his parents were going to be gone. He didn’t really feel like hanging out today, especially with Grant. Nevertheless, he had promised Nora he would try to get to know him before judging him. He went downstairs into the kitchen, he was glad it was only his mom and Nora there. He didn’t want to see Rose or his uncle. Ever since Vince dumped Rose, she has been in one of her moods and of course his uncle was taking her side and believed that Nora persuaded Vince into breaking up with Rose.         

            “Morning Robert” Nora said as she placed a plate of waffles in front of him.

            “Morning mom and Nora, you sure are in a good mood.”

            “Somebody has to be, since you have been in a foul mood lately. Plus today is the day me and Vince go on our first date.”

            “No I have not, any idea where he is taking you?”

            “No, he said it’s a surprise and yes you have been.”

            “Well I hope you have fun tonight because you deserve it, just tell him that if he hurts you he will have to deal with me.”

            “Ha ha ha, ok I’ll tell him. What time are you leaving?”

            “Um I think sometime after lunch or maybe later.”

            “Sounds like you don’t want to go.” Robert’s mom asked.

            “I do, it’s just that I have a lot to do before next week, since I’ll be leaving next Friday.”

            “Then maybe you should cancel I’m sure Ann Marie and her cousin would understand. It’s not like y’all are going to different schools.”

            “He can’t cancel mom, because then it will seem like he doesn’t want to hang out with Ann Marie’s cousin.”

            “Why would they think that?” Robert wished Nora had not put in her two cents, he didn’t want to have to tell his mom how he knew Preston before meeting him as Ann Marie’s cousin.

            “It’s cause Ann Marie’s cousin is gay and the fact that Robert left early from dinner at her house, just made it look like he has a problem with gay people.”

            “Is this true?”

            “Thank you Nora. Yes but that is not why I left, I hadn’t felt well so I came home.”

            “Ok well now I see why you feel like you must go, but if you want I can take care of some things for you, so you don’t have so much to do.”

            “No that’s ok; it’s not much more I have to take care of.”

            “Are you sure you don’t need me to do anything for you?”

            “I’m sure; I’ll see you guys later. I’m going to take care of something before I leave.”

            “Ok mijo, and try to have fun today. You have been in a bad mood lately.”

            “Yeah lighten up, your bit of a downer lately.”

            “Ok point taken, I’ll have fun and come back in a better mood.”