Chapter Twenty-Three

            Robert was getting everything ready  for tonight; he was having second thoughts about having Preston and his boyfriend Grant over. He didn’t trust Grant to be on his best behavior; Grant was a jerk by nature and would do anything just to get on someone’s nerves. Robert didn’t really have a choice but to put up with Grant if he wanted to hang out with Preston. Then he also made the mistake of inviting Vera over also, he was getting the feeling Ann Marie felt threatened by her. He didn’t see why she would feel like that, she was only a friend nothing else. He was thinking about just cancelling, he was still thinking about what Ann Marie told him. The more he thought about it, the more he was sure he didn’t feel anything for Ann Marie anymore. He wasn’t happy in their relationship, he felt suffocated by her. However he didn’t want to break up with her, he felt like if he did Preston wouldn’t want to hang out with him anymore. Maybe if he just stayed with her for a while longer, then maybe Preston will see him as a good friend. He doesn’t want to lose him as a friend just because things didn’t work out with his cousin. The doorbell rang and Robert went to see who it was. When he opened to door, he saw it was Vera and she had two bottles of liquor in her hand.

            “Hey Vera come on in and you can place that on the table. By the way where did you get the alcohol from, you’re not old enough to buy that?”

            “Well it is a gift from Gio and Vic.”

            “Ah so how are your brothers, haven’t seen them in a long time?”

            “They are good, Vic just got engaged and Gio just made head chef at the restaurant he has been working at.”

            “That’s good, glad to hear they are doing great.”

            “So when is everyone else getting here?”

            “They should be here any minute, why?”

            “Oh just asking, hey I want to ask you something?”

            “Yeah sure what is it?”

            “Um I’m getting the feeling Ann Marie doesn’t like me.”

            “Why do you say that?”

            “Well I know she volunteered to show me around the campus, but she is being very rude to me and has been talking down to me. I think she believes there is something going on between us and that is why she is acts coldly towards me. Is everything alright between you two?”

            “Damn it I knew it, no things have been a bit tense between us. She thinks I’m seeing someone else and now she thinks it’s you.”

            “Oh are you?’

            “What no, I would never do that.”

            “So what’s the problem between you two?”

            “Well I think she is mad because she told me that she loves me and I didn’t say it back. The thing is I have never told any girl I have gone out with that I love them. The ones before have never had a problem with it, but I’m sure they stuck around because I come from money.”

            “So she must really love you if she is still with you, but I was getting the feeling you don’t want her around anymore, am I right?”

            Robert took a deep sigh and ran his fingers through his hair he knew if he denied it Vera would see right through him.  “Your right, I don’t want to be with her anymore.”