Chapter Thirty-Eight

            On the morning of his birthday, Robert slowly got out of bed and got dressed. Today he turned twenty; he still didn’t feel right about going out tonight. But he knew his mom wouldn’t allow him to stay home. He walked past Rose’s room he saw the door was slightly open. His uncle hadn’t allowed anyone in there since she died. He must be the one who left it opens. When he walked into the kitchen he found his mom and Nora waiting for him, they had a large breakfast spread out on the table.

            “Happy birthday Robert, I hope you’re hungry.” Nora said as she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

            “Happy birthday mijo, I even made your favorite.” Tanya said as she brought out a triple chocolate cake. It had a simple Happy 20th Birthday Robert written on it, in blue icing. He hugged and kissed his mom on the cheek.

            “Thank you mom and Nora, all this looks good. Is uncle going to join us, this is a lot of food for just us three?” Robert asked his mom as she passed him a plate of food.

            “I don’t think so; you know he hasn’t come out of his office since Rose’s funeral. I’ll just send him a plate to his office later.” Tanya said.

            “So what are your plans for today?” Nora asked.

            “Well I wanted to know if you two would like to join me for a birthday lunch that Vera and Preston are making me go to.” Robert said.

            “Of course, can I invite Vince?” Nora asked.

            “If you must, I guess he can come along. Are you also coming along mom?”

            “Yes mijo I’ll join you all, so are you going out tonight to celebrate your birthday and New Year’s Eve?” Tanya asked.

            “I don’t know mom, I just don’t feel right about going out, when we just barely buried Rose like two days ago.”

            “I know mijo, but sitting at home isn’t going to bring her back. Besides you have been in this house since she died and I refuse to let you spend your birthday here in this house when you should be out there having fun with your friends. In fact we are all going out tonight and getting out of this house.”

            “What about uncle, are you going to make him get out of the house too?”

            “No, I have already tried to get him to leave. But he refused. You know how much Rose meant to him and it’s not easy for him to accept the fact that she is gone.”

            “So you’re going to leave him here by himself?” Nora asked

            “Yes he said he wanted to be left alone; I think he just wants to go through Rose’s things alone, while no one is at home.”