Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-Seven

            The day after his uncle’s funeral Robert went downstairs to find his mom and dad talking in the kitchen. It was weird to see them in the same room together, but it made him happy.

            “Morning mom and dad, what are you two talking about?” Robert asked as he poured himself a cup of coffee and sat at the table with them.

            “Samuel Vega is coming by this morning to go over your uncle’s will and I had been thinking about selling the house. I think it’s best we all get a fresh start, this house is filled with too many unpleasant memories.” Tanya said. Robert agreed with his mom on that one, just knowing that his uncle took his own live in this house creep him out.

            “I agree, are you going stay here until you can find a new house?”

            “No we are going to stay with your dad and abuelita, just until I sell the house and find a new one. I just really don’t want to stay here anymore. So I’m going to need you to pack up your things, unless you don’t mind the movers doing it for you while you’re at school.”

            “No I can get it all packed up before I leave on Saturday, it will give me something to do. I don’t really have plans for the week anyway. Well besides going with Nora and Vince to the ultrasound appointment tomorrow. I bet they are excited to finally find out what they are having, I know I am.” Robert smiled, Tanya was glad he was starting to get back to his old self again. She hated seeing him depressed all the time.

            “Yeah I bet they are and then we can finally start spoiling our first grandchild.” Cristian said as he reached for Tanya’s hand and looked deeply into her eyes. Robert watched them; he could see the love between them and how over the years it hadn’t changed, even after years apart the love was still there. He thought he was going to have that with Preston, but he was sadly mistaken. He let Preston’s words play again in his head ‘I don’t love you anymore.’ All the anger he thought he had suppressed came rushing back. He looked at his cup and pushed it away from him. It went flying off the table and crashed onto the floor. He watched as it smashed into pieces and coffee spilled all over the floor. His parents looked at him he could see they were shocked at his actions. Robert sighed as he started to pick up the pieces and clean up the coffee.

            “Robert what is wrong?” Cristian asked.

            “Sorry I just misjudged my strength that’s all,” Robert said as he took his seat again.

            “Are you sure you’re alright?” Tanya asked.

            “Yes mom I’m fine, I’m just going to go up to my room and start packing.” Robert got up from the table and walked back upstairs. He went to Nora’s room and knocked on her door. She opened the door and let him in; she had already started to pack.

            “So I take it you know mom is selling the house?”

            “Yeah I’m glad she is, we could all use a fresh start.”

            “So you excited for tomorrow, you finally find out what you’re having?”

            “Yeah but I think Vince is more excited. I think he is hoping for a boy.”

            “What are you hoping for?” Robert asked as he sat on the bed.

            “To tell you the truth it doesn’t matter to me, just as long as the baby is healthy.”