Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

When Robert finally woke up he saw it was late in the afternoon, he looked around and saw he was in his room. He didn’t remember how he ended up here. He got out of the bed and went to go shower.  He walked out of the bathroom and got dressed; he needed to go back to the hospital to go see how Preston was. He walked into the kitchen to find his mom, Nora and Vera seating at the table having lunch.

“Good afternoon sleepy head.” Nora said.

            “Hey everyone, how did I get here?” Vera looked at Tanya then back at Robert.

            “After we left at the hospital, we were driving around and you fell asleep, so I brought you back here to sleep. You were out for quite a while, and I’m not surprise with how you were fighting your sleep lately.” Vera said.

            “Ok I know, can we just go back to the hospital?”

            “Robert I need to tell you something first.” Robert stopped putting on his sweater and looked at Vera.

            “What’s wrong with Preston?”

            “Nothing he finally woke up.” Robert’s eyes lit up and started looking for his keys.

            “Why didn’t you wake me up?” Robert said as he found his keys and was heading for the door.

            “Because you needed to look rested, when you saw Preston or he would have blamed himself.” Robert knew she was right.

            “Ok I know, well I’m going to go see him; does anyone want to come with me?”

            “I’ll go with you but just to pick up my car, I need to shower and change before I go see him.” Robert nodded his head and walked to his car. Before he got to the hospital he stopped at a flowers shop that was near the hospital. He walked in and was looking at the stuffed animals when his eyes landed on a stuffed monkey. He grabbed it and paid for it and made his way to the hospital.

            Ann Marie got to the hospital and went to see Preston; her aunt, uncle and Xavier were going to home but would be back to see him before visiting hours ended. This was the time she told Grant to come; she just wasn’t sure when Robert was going to get here. She walked into Preston’s room and found him staring at the ceiling and he was really quiet and spacing out. He didn’t even notice her coming to his bed.

            “Hey Preston, how are you doing?”

            “I’m fine just thinking about things.” Preston hadn’t taken his eyes off the ceiling.

            “Well um, I have something I need to ask you.”

            “Ask away.”

            “Grant is here and he wants to see you?” Preston finally took his eyes off the ceiling and sat up in his bed.

            “Sure it’s ok, let him in.” Ann Marie nodded and walked out into the hallway to get Grant. Grant walked into the room and went to the bed and sat down on the chair next to the bed.

            “Hey how are you doing?” Grant asked as he smiled weakly at Preston.

            “Ok except for the pain and they only give you so much morphine.” Preston said.

            “I’m sorry for everything that happened, for the way I acted and for cheating on you, you’re the sweetest person I know and you didn’t deserve to be treated like that. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but I’m hoping you will.” Preston knew that deep down inside Grant was a good guy; he just needed to work on his temper.