12. Too Much Drama

"WHAT? ... NO WAY! ... OH MY GOD! ... Why didn't you tell me? ... How come?"

Those were all the reaction Vanessa had when I told her about my first day at college. I hadn't had time to call her earlier and she had a lot to catch on.For once, I was the one with the most eventful life.

I told her everything in between Professor Smith acting like an asshole and Samantha's fit.After I was done venting about every single one of these subjects – Psycho Bitch case took in itself a whole hour to narrate – Vanessa asked the dreaded question:

"And how are things going with She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?"

"Who are you talking about?" I replied as a habit. The fact that I was (nearly) over Sofia didn't mean I liked her being compared to the worst Bad Guy in history of Bad Guys. Actually, the nickname would suit Smith much better.

"Stop acting clueless every time!" My step-sister complained, so loudly I had to take the phone away from my ear.

"I don't-"

"Fine!" Vanessa interrupted and I could picture her rolling her eyes. "Sofia! What about Sofia, the girl who broke your heart like you meant nothing to her? Pretty much like Voldemort broke Harry's heart by killing his parents."

It was my time to roll my eyes. Vanessa, the queen of measure.

I gathered my knees to my chest and held them with one arm. Careful about not being too loud – what if Sofia could hear me from the other side of the wall? – I answered:

"There's nothing much to say. We often see each other in the hallways and sometimes in the floor bathroom but that's it. It just irks me that she has to be everywhere I go."

"It would irk me too." Vanessa admitted. "Is there no way for you to change dorms?"

"I don't think so. And despite her presence, I really like the friends I've made here. I wouldn't like to start the whole socializing process over in another residence. On the other hand, I might stop attending the drama class. I found out today that we were both taking it."

"What the heck, Jane? Does she stalk you or what? How come is she present everywhere you go?"

I brushed her comment with a chuckle.

"Trust me, she seems as displeased as I am. The most mature thing to do right now is ignoring each other politely."

"Yeah, like you can pretend you don't have history together!"

"I totally can." I retorted, more stubborn than I usually was. But I knew that my solution was right. Pretending nothing ever happened between us was the way to move forward, especially as we were now classmates, on top of dormmates. "As long as I don't picture her as my ex-girlfriend but as a simple student, I will be fine. I've taken resolutions and you know how I always keep my resolutions."

"And you must be the only one." Vanessa sighed. I knew I had failed to convince her. But what mattered more was that I had convinced myself. I had found a way to definitely be indifferent towards Sofia, and it was acting like we were never a thing.

Because despite what I said, being annoyed by the single fact that she was in my vicinity wasn't being over her. Being over her would mean not even caring that she was across the wall from me.

I could do that. Being unfazed when she was around.

"Trust me. Sofia Coleman doesn't mean anything to me anymore." I added as a last attempt to convince her. A silence ensued. "But anyway, let's not talk about her anymore. She's not important. What about you? How are things going at home and at college?"