17. Tragic Lesbian Love Story

Renate was as browless and as weirdly artistic as the week before. She tried and let the suspense live through the first half-a hour of the class by making us warm-up through improvised skits.

I found myself being paired with a girl called Ruby on the theme "Snowballs". She obviously had a lot more experience in theatre than I did and acted every line with acute intensity. On the other hand, I tried to come up with witty comebacks and portray a tad more realistic emotions.

Despite the polite round of applause that followed our skit, I wasn't so sure if it had been that good. And still, I didn't see how it would help me with Professor Smith's class.

After everyone had a little taste of the stage, Renate rounded us up once again to announce what we – or they – had been expecting all week: the cast of the all-female adaption of Romeo and Juliet. She started enumerating the smaller parts before moving on to more important supportive characters.

Disappointment could be read on some faces as they had been cast as servants. And despite her promise, though, Renate didn't cast the only boy as a tree but offered him the role of the Apothecary.

"Thank God." He muttered while shaking his hands in front of him. Laughter followed his expression of relief.

"Moving on to Mercutio... Role goes to Ruby." The girl I had improvised the skit with clapped with enthusiasm. Forced enthusiasm. She probably expected a bigger role than that, maybe one of the main.

Renate didn't notice – or chose not to – the fake burst of joy from her part and moved on with her list.

"Role of Paris goes to Jane."

I raised my eyes to the teacher, in shock. Did I really have... such an important part in the play? As I was about to thank her for entrusting me with the role, a girl spoke over me:

"Which Jane?" I turned to face her and she mouthed my way: "My name's Jane too."

Too much for giving me false hope. Considering my poor acting skills, I'd probably end up as some extra in the background. Maybe a tree?

"Jane Earnest." Renate clarified, much to my surprise. The other Jane clenched her teeth as I comprehended that I really got the part. I would be no extra, even though I had close to no experience in drama.

Pride swelled up in me and I didn't even try to refrain the smile that stretched my lips at that moment. Could Professor Smith have bet on the fact that I'd get an important role in Roxanna and Juliet, a lesbian rewriting of the classic Shakespearian love story? Probably not.

I would prove that asshole of a teacher I could succeed in anything he threw to my face, whether it was American Politics or Elizabethan theatre!

"Silence now."Renate commanded, in a stricter tone than she used to have. "I will announce who will play the role of Roxanna."

She dramatically scrutinized the faces of the people who hadn't been called yet: five girls for only two main roles. I couldn't help but notice that Sofia was in the bunch. It wasn't a surprise though, she had been part of the drama club since middle school and was extremely talented.

It wasn't her name that got called next though. The role of feminized Romeo went to the other Jane. And for some reason, I found myself hoping Sofia would get to play Juliet. It would be unfair if her talent was wasted being an extra or worse, a main character's double.

"And last but not least, Juliet will be played by Sofia Coleman. A round of applause please."

At the announce, Sofia tilted her glowing face, as she always did when she was too happy.Applause followed and the smile on her face widened even more. Despite her having been cast numerous times as main characters in high school productions, she still looked genuinely surprised.