Chapter 1- Backstory

Emery's POV
All I ever hear now at home is yelling. We used to be the type of family who sat together every night discussing how our days went but no more. Now as soon as I get home from school I go right up to my room. And all I ever now hear is yelling. My parents seem like they're going to get a divorce. They don't show the love and passion they used to show for each other anymore. I bet that will happen to me. I know I'll never find my "perfect girl" because there is no such thing as perfect.

I hear a knock at my window. I look out and see Zoey, or as I call her Z, one of my best friends and my best friend Ricky's sister.

I open the window. "Hey Z. What're you doing here?"
"Just bored and decided to take a walk."
She stops talking for a second, seeing that I look upset. "Em, is it the yelling again?"
"Yea, it is."

Zoey is the only one who knows about my family's constant uproar of annoyance. Not even Ricky knows.

She walks over to me where I was sitting on my bed and gives me a big hug, whispering "it will be alright Em."

I don't know what I would do without her. She always calms me down and makes me feel like my old self. The one without depression. We release from being so close, but still holding each other and I look into her eyes. They're the most beautiful shade of blue you could ever see. Zoey is one of the most beautiful girls you will ever meet. It's crazy how she's hasn't even gone on a her first date yet.

"Emery, will you promise me one thing?" She asks me quietly.

"Anything."

"Promise me no matter what happens, you will always be my fun and happy Emerykat."

When we were about 8, Zoey gave me that nickname and it's stuck since.

"I promise Zoey." I say as I hug her tighter again.

"Do you want to come over for dinner and a sleepover at my house with Ricky and I tonight?" She asks still hugging me.

"I'd love to." I respond back.

We hugged for about 5 more minutes, then it took me about 15 minutes to pack for the sleepover. I left a note in my room and my parents' room saying I was sleeping over at the Garcia's house. Then we took my car and drove to their house, which only took 5 minutes because they don't live too far away.

Chapter 1 Author's Note:
Thanks so much for reading. Please comment your favorite part or any overall comments, and please vote. Thanks again.