Chapter 7- Can't Happen & Covering Everything Up

Zoey's POV
The past few hours we laid in total silence. His arms around me protectively, and my head on his chest. All I've been able to think about was that kiss. I know it was my first kiss but I know I felt something that I wouldn't have felt with anyone else. I can't do anything about it though. Emery is already going through enough and I can't add onto it. Besides, I can't screw up our friendship or his friendship with Ricky.

He breaks the silence and says, "Zoey, do you think I could stay here for a few days? There's too much going on at my house that I can't handle."
I look up at him with a big smile. "Of course, Em."

He hugs me tighter.
We hear a knock at the door and instantly separate, not wanting whoever is on the other side to get the wrong idea.

"Come in," I say.
The door opens and we see Ricky. "Hey guys," he says.
I sit up and ask him, "Why didn't you tell me you and Dad were going golfing today?"
"I guess I forgot. Sorry," he says walking over to where I was on the bed. He sits with us on the lower side of the bed.
"So what did you guys do while I was gone?" He asks.
"Nothing," Emery says too quickly.
"Em, you good there? That was a quick response," he says, thinking something is up.
"He's fine. Emery is going to be staying here the next few days," I say, covering up for Emery.
"Nice bro. I'm gonna go take a nap. Call me when dinner is ready?" Ricky says.
"Yea sure." I respond.

We say our goodbyes and Ricky is out the door.
I slap Emery's arm.

"Seriously?" I ask, annoyed.
"What?" He asks.
"Ricky was onto us, until I changed the subject and saved our butts." I say.
"Sorry, it's not everyday you kiss your best friend and have to hide it from everyone," he says. I can sense him getting mad.
I put my hands on his shoulders and say, "Okay okay, I'm sorry. Please calm down. And please never say that out loud again. I don't want anyone to hear."
"I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to get mad at you," he apologizes.
I hug him and he asks me, "What do you want to do now?"
"Can we just stay like this for a while?" I ask, not wanting to let go of him.
"I wouldn't want to do anything else," he says sweetly.

•skip to dinner time•
Emery went downstairs for dinner, as I woke up Ricky. I knocked on the door to Ricky's bedroom. He doesn't answer, so I just walk in to see him sleeping.

"Ricky, time for dinner," I say while I shake his arm.
"Okay," he says groggily, rubbing his eyes. "Wait a second," he says to me as I was walking out of his room.
"Yes?" I ask.
"Did something happen between you and Emery today? He couldn't even look me in the eye before," he asks me. Oh no.
"No Ricky, come on, you know I only like Emery as a friend now," I say to him.
"Yea, but you used to have a major crush on him," he says.
"I know but that was back when we were 15. Now I got over him, and I know I can't be with him. I don't want to lose him," I say to him.

Yea, the truth is I started liking Emery when we were 15 and tried to push those feelings away. They have always been there, and I try to hide them. But today, they came back full force during the kiss, and I'm going to have to push them back again.

"I'm glad to hear that. But now that I know that, is there something wrong with Emery? I mean, lately he's just not himself around me," Ricky says in a sad tone.

I can't tell him. I've never broken any of the promises Emery and I have made, and I'm not starting now. Emery also knows when I'm lying, so even if I did break the promise he would know.
I guess I'm going to have to lie to my twin brother then. I'm sorry Ricky, but I have to.

"Awe, Ricky," I say giving him a hug, "don't worry, everything is fine. He told me that lately he hasn't been sleeping well at his house. That's why he's acting different and also why he is staying here for a few days."
"Okay, it's just he's one of my best friends and I worry about him," Ricky says. Yea, he's a sentimental sap when it comes to the people he loves.
"I know. So do I," I say letting go of him. "Let's go eat."

We walk downstairs to eat. Everyone is at the table waiting for us. I sit down next to Emery, and Ricky sits across from us, next to my mom. Dad is at the head of the table next to me and Mom. We all start eating the pizza my dad ordered in.

"So Ricky, Dad how did you guys do on the golf course today?" I ask them.
"We played an 18 hole course and Ricky definitely beat me. He's getting pretty good. Emery, I would've invited you if I knew you would be here. I booked our spots a week ago," Dad says.
"Oh, don't worry Mr. Garcia, I don't golf much, and besides, someone had to stay with Zoey all day," he says, nudging me at the end of his sentence.
"Emery is going to be staying here for a few days," Ricky and I stay at the exact same time. Well, I guess we are twins.
"Wow, your guy's twin telepathy is getting better," said Emery, jokingly. We all laughed.
"Well, putting that aside, that's great Emery. Your presence here always is a good thing," my mom says.
"Thank you, Mrs. Garcia," Emery said. "How was your spa day with my mom?" he then asks.
"It was very nice. She said that it was just the relaxation she needed," my mom said.

Emery's face instantly lit up, and so did mine. I'm so happy that spa day helped Mrs. Kelly and might've helped her to relax and fight less with Mr. Kelly.

"That's great!" Emery says.
"She also said that she doesn't see much of you anymore, Ricky," my mom says. "But she does see Zoey a lot lately. Zoey I didn't know you go to Emery's house so often," Mom says looking at Emery and I with a smirk.
"Oh God, how many times do I have to tell you all? We are just friends. Only friends. Nothing else. I've been over at Emery's lately to help him with summer work for school. Next year we are taking the same AP Spanish and literature classes," I say, getting sick and tired of them always thinking we're together secretly.
Emery puts his hands on my shoulders and says, "Okay, tiger, calm down."
"Well, you guys definitely look cute together though. That's all I'm going to say," Mom says, looking at us, still smirking.
"I guess you guys do look kind of cute together too," says Ricky, shocking Emery and I.

Emery and I look at each other for a second, and we both kick him under the table.

"Man, why the hell did you guys do that?" Ricky says, clearly in pain.

We kick him again and he shrieks. Emery and I both innocently smile at him.

Chapter 7 Author's Note:
Thanks so much for reading. Please leave your comments below, and please vote. Thank you, again.