Chapter 4: Home

Red's jaw started to hurt from having it open for almost 5 minutes. Once again, she looked around the place in front of her.

Animal carcasses were strewn about, blood staining the rock floor. It smelt horrible. A bundle of hay layered with dust had a tattered, dirty cloth on top of it.

To sum it all up, the place looked like some pig sty. Red never imagined that anyone could be that dirty.

She looked up at Were with an "are you kidding me" kind of look. He just shrugged and stared at his junk of a home place.

"You should clean up your house before bringing someone over, you know", Red said, sighing.

"I didn't know that someone would come over", he replied.

"Fine then, let's clean this place up together!" She cheered, taking Were's hand.

'Together...' Were's heart leapt a mile. It brought back memories. He began to imagine how Red could make him feel that way. Like he wasn't insignificant. Like he mattered. The warmth from her small hand tingled his body. A warmth he craved after spending some years alone.

"If you insist", he mumbled, letting the girl lead him.

---

By the time they were finished, it was time for Red to go home. Red swiped some sweat from her forehead and grinned, "Done!"

The carcasses were thrown away and the blood stains were somehow cleaned up, though a few stains remained. Cobwebs and dust were cleared and the cave was completely given a wash up. The only thing that remained was the hay and the cloth which Were sleeps on.

Red had decided that she would bring him some spare mattress and a blanket when she drops by later.

The two of them sat on a rock just outside the cave, resting.

"How could you have lived in such a messy place? It's your home, you shouldn't leave it like that", Red wistfully.

A moment of silence passed, Were replied, "I never felt like I was home... Not in here anyway..." Red looked startled by the hint of sadness presence in his voice.

"Wer-" Red started but was cut off by Were who didn't seem to notice her voice, "But now, I think I might remember the meaning of home once again..."

"Just like six years ago."

The words struck her like lightning. Nevertheless she didn't fail to notice the small smile which appeared on Were's face.

As a small breeze blew through their hair, Red felt her heart flutter, looking at Were's smiling face. Her eyes widened as she got an image of the same smile.

A boy, smiling at her... She vaguely remembered the smile. However much she tried to remember the face, it proved futile. Red felt confused. Her head slightly hurt.

Red was broken from her trance with a flick on the forehead from Were.

"You look pale", he said while lifting Red to her feet, "Are you feeling well?"

Red shook her head and gave him a smile, "I'm fine!"

"It's getting late. You should be heading home now. Should I walk you? It might be dangerous."

"No. It's fine. I'll be going then! See you tomorrow", Red waved as she jumped away. She came to a halt at the opening of the woods. Thoughts raced across her mind.

Had I met Were before?

She vigorously shook her head. No, no. That wasn't possible. She would remember if she did. Taking a deep breath in, Red massaged her temples. She was just overreacting. Yeah, that must be it.

--------------------------------

This is soooooo short, I know. Anywayyys, there. A new chap! *claps*
And I noticed a few typos in the previous chap lol.

Well then, comment and vote! Just so you know, I'll try my best to reply to messages and all (the reason why I can't is that I haven't verified my email which I plan on trying to do later today =P)