Chapter 10: Trapped

Red's POV

Hunter acted strange nowadays. Well, he used to act strange but, this was stranger. I would find him deep in thought or scowling or furrowing his brows, that I think he might get wrinkles far too early.

Two weeks went on like that, and I think that he might be, as absurd as this may be, plotting something? Did he find out about Were? He sounded suspicious the way he asked me before, now that I think about it now.

No, no. It mustn't be. That didn't clearly feel right... I don't want anyone to interfere with me being with Were... Lately, he also seems to look thoughtful, anxious, restless and... Oh, I don't even know.

Most of the time, he doesn't seem to notice when I talk to him or ask him anything.

What are they both keeping from me? And why simultaneously? This is all too confusing...

I sighed, for what felt like the zillionth time the whole week. I decided to do something to get my mind off all these unsettling thoughts and headed outside. Mother was hanging out clothes to dry. I offered to help but she said that she was done and I headed into the village.

Before I could've walked any further, I met with Hunter along the way. He appeared to be in a good mood today. No frowns, scowls or signs of wrinkles forming on his forehead. Nope.

"Red! I was searching for you!" He exclaimed, his tone bright. Now this was a surprise. His smile didn't seem all that fake...

"Is that so? What do you need, Hunter?" I asked smiling back. I was glad he's finally gotten over what came about to him.

"I want to show you something interesting, so I just wanted to let you know that I'll drop by this evening. See you then!" Hunter simply grinned before waving off.

"Okay. Gotcha", I replied before heading off as well. I heard Hunter mumble something though. And it sent chills down my back. He obviously didn't intend for me to overhear...

"I hope you bid farewell to him, though."

What was that? I felt my fears growing. Had he learnt about Were? No, I tried to convince myself, this is just a misunderstanding. He probably meant something else by that. Yeah, that should definitely be it...

I had a bad feeling. But I decided that I would trust Hunter. He won't do anything rash, would he?

—– Normal POV —–

Were was positioned the same. His face was the same; overwritten with fear, anxiety and thoughtfulness. He didn't notice her coming inside and sitting on the mattress besides him.

"Were...?" Red softly asked, placing her hand on his shoulder. He jolted up in surprise.

"Red! I didn't notice you were here..." He mumbled rubbing the back of his head.

"Hey... If there's something bothering you... Don't hesitate to tell me, okay?"

"...I'm sorry but... I have nothing bothering me." Were definitely looked weird when he said that. Red abruptly tightened her grip on the boy's shoulder glaring at him.

All these "nothing is wrong", "I'm fine", and keeping secrets from her was irritating her to the point that she'd glare at anyone.

"Were. I'm serious", she said firmly. Were was certainly quite taken aback by this.

He settled down his tensed posture and sighed slowly.

"I... I honestly don't know... I feel scared and insecure... Like, I'd... Like I'd be lonely again..." Were clenched his fist together, another hand nervously going through his hair.

Red noted the word, 'again'... She felt as if there was more to all this.

Maybe I should stay by Were's side for tonight...

She thought, however, her promise to Hunter came rushing back, forcing to rethink her actions. She wanted to comfort Were. He looked so much in pain... She wanted to assure him that she was here with him. That he wasn't and won't ever be lonely.

Damn Hunter...

Red loosened her grip on his shoulder and brought Were closer for a hug. She could feel him trembling as he wrapped his arms around her body.

Until she was ready to leave, they stayed in that position for a long time till he was calm.

—–—

"Red~!" Harry called out cheerfully. He was in a good mood alright.

"What did you want to show me?" Red asked, forcing a smile.

"Oh, it's a surprise! Come on. To your room", he said, taking my hand and beckoning to my house.

He kept blabbering on about how he was excited to show her this surprise.

"Now step inside and you'll find out!" He sing-sang.

"Okay..." Red hesitantly stepped into her room. No matter what, she couldn't shake off this feeling of uneasiness. Maybe she should runaway? Maybe she should've just stayed with Were. But that was all too late.

Red felt Harry push her from behind, the door slammed shut and she heard the lock turn. Realisation hit her like a brick.

She was trapped.

"Hunter?! Hunter!! What is the meaning if this?!" She screamed banging her fists loudly on the door.

"Shhh, my little kitten~ I have no choice but to do this you see. All to keep you away from that monster. You're supposed to listen only to me. Appreciate all that I do. But no. You chose him over me. And that deserves punishment", he rambled.

Him...? Did he find out about Were!? Oh no... But how... How did he know him!?

Hunter chuckled maliciously, "You must be wondering how I know him, huh? Don't you remember Red? Of course you won't. He was the one who stole you from me."

"Wh-What do you mean? I don't get it! Hunter! Let me out this instant!" Red fruitlessly screamed.

"Calm down. No one will hear you, nor will they come to save you. Not even your mother, you see. And, I've got some business to attend to. Gotta hunt down a monster."

Red's heart dropped. She slid down to her knees her hands trembling.

Hunt...? Monster...? Hunt... Down... Were?

Tears suddenly pricked her eyes. She needed to do something. She had to.

Despite his appearance, over the days she spent with him, Were seemed vulnerable. Without her.

She can't leave him. She can't... She can't...

————–———————————————————————————

This CANNOT be! You guys... *sniff* Omg... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 300 VIEWS!!!!!!!

I can't get over this feeling of happiness... I hope you guys stay to read until the end though. And with that, I take my leave.

Don't forget to vote or comment! Thanks for reading! Hope ya liked it. X3