Chapter 7: Mixed Emotions

A sigh escaped Red's lips. It had been hard coming to Were's place after Harry returned. She glanced at the wolf sprawled lazily across the mattress she brought a few days back (with a lot of effort, that is).

"Is something the matter?" Were asked from across the room - or cave which it is.

"Nothing much... It's just that and old friend came back", Red replied, her chin rested in her hands.

Were grew a bit curious and sat on a chair besides Red, "Who?"

"A person named Harry Hunter."

Red failed to notice Were's eyes widening as she continued looking in front.

"He's been acting strange about me coming out of the village... It's quite bothersome", Red continued unaware of the growing panic inside the boy next to her.

"But don't worry, it's not like his pestering is enough to stop me from coming!" Red gushed, flashing Were a thumbs up sign. A little bit of Were calmed but the uneasiness building up inside of him refused to vanish completely.

Before he was able to say anything in reply, Red jolted up to her feet. "Sorry Were! I promised mother that I'll run her an errand this evening! See you later, bye!"

No... Don't leave... Stay by me longer...

Unconsciously, Were grabbed a hold of Red's hand. He didn't know what he was doing. He didn't realise it was happening in the first place. Gently, he tugged her to him, and she fell into his embrace.

"W- Were...?" Red stammered, flushed. She felt his face bury into her shoulder before he whispered, "You... You'll come back, right? You're not leaving me alone, are you?"

His grip on her waist slowly tightened. Red breathed out, relaxing a bit. She noticed the shred of emotion which laced his words. She stroked Were's back affectionately.

"I'll definitely come... You bet I will."

"I'll be waiting."

---

Harry was leaning on a wall of a house which Red passed on her way home.

"Where have you been?" He asked in his usual merry voice. At least that's what everyone else thinks. A merry ol' good fella to get along with.

"I... Went to see if I found any good herbs in the woods..." Red lied, averting her eyes from his.

"Red..." Harry sighed walking closer to her, "How many years have I spent with you to know when you are lying and when you aren't."

Red gritted her teeth in an attempt not to say anything offensive as a reply.

"... It has nothing to do with you, hasn't it?"

Harry shook his head, "Red. You're like a little sister to me. And it is the duty of an elder brother to look after his younger sister, is it not?"

Red remained silent. This kind of talk has become common ever since he found out that she left the village everyday.

"Now tell me. Are you doing something else besides collecting stuff? Like, maybe, meeting up with someone..?"

The usual feeling of dread and annoyance crept up from the bottom of her stomach. What has she meeting up with her friend has to do with him!? It's her life. And she wasn't some sort of animal for him to control her around.

"I have some work to do. If you'll excuse me", Red murmured politely, walking past the unsatisfied Harry.

"What a troublesome girl you've become, Red... You used to be so obedient."

---

I looked outside once more. Everything looked normal. Everything looked just like how it was yesterday. However, I felt different.

Guilt... Dread... Uneasiness... Anxiety... And any kind of negative emotion anyone would feel, instantly welled up within me.

I was foolish to have thought that this won't harm me, or anyone in any sort. Damn, how stupid am I!? This was bound to happen. I should've realised from the beginning.

I'm going to hurt her... Again...

I'm dragging her into this mess... Again.

I feel horrible... Horrible...? Isn't that what I am? A horrible being nevertheless...

My breathing went all ragged as I tossed and turned on the mattress I plopped onto a while ago. If he were to find out.. I'll lose everything... I'll be all alone again...

No... I believe in her... She'll come back... Like how I never did...

--------------------------------

Holy-!? My eyes MUST be deceiving me! Thank you all for 200+ views! (Q▽Q) You'll never believe how happy I am... *sniff*

I LOVE YOU GUYYYYS!

Anyway, onto a little bit of talk about how the story is progressing... Is it me or does it feel a bit... Idk, rushed?

Btw, should I change Red's age? Is it too young? Maybe I should change it into 15 or 16... So, I wanna know your opinions =3