1. Guilt

Autumn shivers as she hurries through the streets, her scarf pulled around her neck. It was bitterly cold, the wind stung as it whipped around her heavily clothed frame. But there had been no frost during this particular winter, nor snow. Nobody knew why it was like this, it was baffling even to the smartest of meteorologists.

But Autumn knew why. At least, she thinks she knows. Xiumin was no longer around.

Her phone starts to vibrate in her pocket and she mentally groans. With gloved hands, she reaches for it and answers.

"Hello?"

"Hey Autumn, are you safe?" Luhan's voice asks.

"Y-yes," she replies through chattering teeth, "I'm a-about t-ten min-minutes aw-ay."

"Okay. Mrs. Wu wants to know if you can stop at that convenience store and pick up a small bag of rice."

"S-sure," she shivers, "I g-got the fuel for the gas st-ove and m-more hair d-dye."

"Did they not have contacts?" Luhan inquires.

"N-no, but I put in an order," she responds, reaching the store Luhan had spoke of.

"Okay. See you home soon."

"Yup," she answers, entering.

He ends the call. She grabs the rice she knew Mrs. Wu liked and, as an afterthought, several hand warmers. She pays and opens two of the portable heaters before leaving the store, putting them in her pockets next to her stiff fingers.

She looks around carefully before making her way down the street again. She hurries the rest of the way to the house. As soon as she steps inside, she is tackled by an excited Zitao.

"Mrs. Wu is making Kimchi fried rice!" he cheers happily, she smiles. That was his favorite. She walks into the kitchen, where Mrs. Wu was, and sets the rice down on the counter.

"How's Yifan?" she asks.

When they had gotten back, Kris had gotten sick again, this time worse than before. His fever had just broken a few days ago.

"He's still out," the woman answers, opening the rice Autumn had brought.

"Why won't Yixing's healing powers fix him?" Autumn inquires for the nth time since they had arrived on her doorstep, sitting down at the table.

"Because it's not a physical ailment," Mrs. Wu explains patiently again, "It's something he needs to get through on his own."

Autumn sighs and slams her head on the table.

"Have you been having nightmares?" Mrs. Wu asks, pausing in her work and stroking the back of her head gently. Without a word, Autumn nods.

"About them?"

She nods again.

"When are we going to save them?" Autumn whispers.

"Soon baby, I promise."

"Can I stay with Yifan for a little while?"

"Of course. Dinner will be ready in about a hour."

"Okay."

Autumn gets up and walks to Kris's room. The boy was still asleep, sweat on his forehead. She touches his wrist, then looks around before using Xiumin's power to cool him down a bit.

"Kris, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Autumn apologizes. She felt guilty.

If she had gone to check on him, maybe he wouldn't be sick right now. Maybe he'd be okay. She blamed herself for his being ill.

More guilt piles onto her when she remembers her choice. The image of Kyungsoo's face is etched into her mind, followed by Chanyeol's, Jongin's, and Chen's. She didn't regret her decision to stay with Kris. But she regrets that she had to leave them. She wish she didn't have to choose.

She doesn't know how long she stayed by his side, but she wasn't awake by the time dinner was ready.

🔸🔸🔸🔸

He stands outside the convenience store, a lit cigarette in his mouth. His hood was pulled up over his face, shielding him a bit from the wind. He takes the cigarette out of his mouth and throws it to the ground, stepping on it to put it out.

It was time.

He enters the store, pulling the scarf up around his face so the security cameras couldn't see him.

"Sir, we're closed," the cashier informs, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"I'm afraid that's not possible," he replies lowly, pulling a gun out of his belt and aiming it at her head. She cries out in alarm.

"I'll give you the money!" she tells him fearfully, opening up the register.

"All the money in that register is pocket change for me," he scoffs, "I'm not here for that."

"What are you here for then?" she asks, he smiles when he sees her trembling.

"Lock the door," he orders, "And turn off the lights."

She hurries to obey. Once the lights are off, he grabs her and presses the gun to her temple before leading her to the back of the store.

"On your knees."

She begins to softly sob as she does what he says.

"Tell me about the girl who came in earlier."

"Which girl?" the cashier whimpers.

"The one who bought rice and hand warmers."

"I've never seen her before," the girl before him answers hurriedly, "I don't usually work this shift so if she's come in before, I wasn't the one to see her."

He smirks under his scarf.

"Then I guess you're of no use to me."

Before she can process his words, a bullet is fired through her skull. Her blood splatters on the door and his face.

He steps over her body and leaves the store. He takes out his phone and dials a number.

"I saw her, but I was too late to catch her. The cashier was useless," he says quickly when the call is answered.

"Are you sure it was her?"

"She had the same face, just a different hairstyle. Her hair was clearly dyed as well, and she looked anxious. I'm almost positive it was Autumn."

"Did she use her powers?"

"Not from what I could see."

"Keep a lookout in that area. If she's there, she'll have to come out eventually. We'll catch all of them if we can catch her."

"I got it," pause, "Can I get some backup?"

"Of course."

"Thank you."

"Just make sure you don't loose her Sungmin."

"Yes Leeteuk."

🐢🐢🐢
Authors note
Bam, first chapter. It kinda sucks, I'm sorry. Fun stuff soon. I'm so tired. Sorry about typos.
Vote and Comment!