11. Effect

Donghyun is attempting to patch up his broken knuckles in his room when he hears Autumn scream. He freezes in his place and listens carefully for footsteps of someone going to help her. He hears them and relaxes, going back to what he was doing. He winces as one of the bones shift back into place.

"I shouldn't have lost my temper," he grumbles to himself. Not for the first time, he longs for his mother to still be alive. She, being the only one who could touch him, always took care of him when he was hurt.

He wonders of the abilities Autumn has acquired. He knew for a fact that she had all of the people in the house's. But the group that they had been with had abilities as well, and he didn't know what they were. As well as the fact that she might very come in contact with other people who had powers as well. That made him nervous, but also hopeful. Maybe she had acquired something that would make him able to touch her.

He shakes his head and bites his lower lip before setting another one of his knuckles. He takes a deep breath before brushing his blond hair out of his eyes. He was just coming up with stuff to give him false hopes. He always hoped when it came to new people. And his hopes were always crushed.

With a grunt, he finishes treating his knuckles as best he can, then runs it under icey water from the sink before wrapping an adhesive cloth around it.

He exits his room, and narrowly dodges Minwoo, who was dashing by, which results with him on the floor. The younger stops and glances behind him at Donghyun, and gives him a sheepish look.

"Sorry Donghyun," he apologizes. Donghyun gives a small glare as he gets up.

"What's going on?" he asks as he brushes himself off.

"Autumn screamed and when Hyolyn and Luhan went in to help her, they found her on the floor rocking back and forth while having a panic attack and that guy was just watching her and laughing," Minwoo responds quickly in a jumble of words, then gasps.

"She's a strong girl," Donghyun comments, "I'm sure she'll be fine."

Minwoo bites his lip.

"I don't know, Zitao said that she's never reacted this way before," Minwoo replies, "And that she's seen a lot of f--"

"Language Minwoo," Donghyun warns.

"Fun stuff," Minwoo finishes, "Like, bad..."

"I'm sure," Donghyun answers nonchalantly, then walks down the stairs. Zitao and Kris were there, talking loudly.

"Maybe I could reverse time so it never happened!" Zitao suggests.

"Zitao, you can't just mess with time to use for your benefit," Kris sighs.

"Why not, I did it for Exo!"

"Nobody said what they made you do was right. They killed you, remember."

Donghyun here's upon hearing that. The people they were trying to save had killed people.

"That was a misunderstanding Kris!" Zitao protests, "Suho was just angry!"

Donghyun hears Kris scoff.

"If it hadn't been for Autumn, you'd be dead right now Z. They're sadist, killers. I don't understand why you, Luhan, and Autumn are so insistent on saving them. They deserve what they're getting."

Donghyun's eyes widen. Autumn had brought Zitao back from the dead?

Zitao's next words are choked, as if he was holding back tears.

"You didn't see them behind the scenes. You never got the opportunity to see past that front like we did. If you had, you'd understand. They don't deserve this. They don't."

"Maybe I would Zitao. But I didn't, and therefore, I don't."

Zitao leaves the room, not noticing Donghyun. Kris does however, and hurries up.

"Oh, hi Donghyun," Kris greets.

"What did you mean that Zitao would be dead if it wasn't for Autumn?" Donghyun asks harshly, "What do you mean, they're sadist and killers? What have you not told us?"

Kris bites his lip.

"Exo isn't a good group of people," he replies slowly, "Not from my experience."

"What have they done?" Donghyun presses, "I need to know. Your family isn't the only one at stake right now."

Kris sighs.

"Fine, but you might want to sit down. This is probably gonna be a long story."

✴️✴️✴️

An hour later, Kris is finished telling his story. Donghyun is running over the details in his head.

"They used to hunt people with powers?" he questions. Kris nods.

"And they'd kill the ones who didn't join them."

"How do you know they killed them?"

"That's what they told Autumn they did."

"And there's no way they could be lying? You said that there are other groups that branched off of Exo. They might not kill, but ship them off to another group that has their values," Donghyun reasons. He doesn't realize he had voiced his thoughts until Kris responded.

"It's possible, but I still don't want them anywhere near us. I'm willing to save them, but that's it. They're on their own after that."

Donghyun nods and gets up.

"I have a lot to think about. If you'll excuse me."

Donghyun makes his way back to his room. Jeongmin was walking out of his own room with Hyunseong, probably about to go down to make dinner.

"Is Autumn okay?" he questions.

The two glance at each other.

"She's... Doing better than she was earlier..." Jeongmin responds, "But I would expect her, or Luhan, to come down for dinner."

"What's the deal right now?"

"Luhan managed to calm her down, but she's still not speaking or moving. I think she'll be fine in the morning though."

Donghyun nods and goes into his room.

🔸🔸🔸🔸

He had always avoided the heat or anything that had to do with it. It was uncomfortable to be around for him, almost like Chanyeol didn't like water. Heat was a contradiction of who he was. 

But as he's burning, he can't remember who he was. He can't remember why he didn't like the heat, other than that heat was associated with fire, and fire burned.

Fire burned, charred, and destroyed. Until nothing was left but ashes.

🐢🐢🐢
Authors note
This took so long, like three times longer than usual. I know it's probably annoying to keep hearing me say it, but I am so so so very sorry.

I have no idea when the next part will be up, I'll try to make sure it's soon, but no promises.

Vote and Comment.

(PS. Exo will be coming back soon, I promise that.)