Chapter 05 | Poolside

[Chapter 05 | Poolside]

Kaoru lay on the bed with his head in Yukimura's lap, just staring up at the ceiling. Yukimura herself, she was leaning back against the bed post, a book in her hands. 

"You...noticed anything off about Hikaru lately?" Kaoru asked out of the blue.

Yukimura rose her brows. "He's been very...well, distant."

"I agree." Kaoru let his eyes fall shut. "This whole...Companion Cupid thing too. I don't believe he'd just become sort of spy. He wouldn't just follow Tamaki's ideas or orders like that and even if he would, he wouldn't do it without me."

"But he did, it seems." Yukimura frowned, putting her bookmark in her book and closing it. "I don't know why." She placed her book down, looking down at her boyfriend. "Maybe he's just trying to...find himself? Maybe he's just trying to become someone else..."

"Yeah..." Kaoru paused, in deep thought. "That has to be it."

Kaoru couldn't think of any other reason to why Hikaru would be acting distant...even, sadder, it seemed...but why would his brother be sad? Kaoru couldn't place it.

Hikaru leaned on the wall near the door of Kaoru's bedroom, listening to every word. His teeth gritted and his fists clenched as he angrily wondered how Kaoru and Yukimura both could be so bloody oblivious. Maybe they just didn't want to fully address the issue and already knew about it? Maybe they just didn't care enough.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he quickly walked away from the bedroom doors, taking the phone out of his pocket and looking. A text.

'Don't even ask how I got your number. - Hatakeyama.'

Hikaru had a baffled expression on his face. 'Tomoko? What the hell.' He sent back. 'You got me curious, now I have to ask.'

'Doesn't mean I have to tell you.' Tomoko text back. 

'Are you this creepy with every client?'

'No, usually they've given me their phone number by now.' Tomoko sent. 'Just checking in on you! It's my duty!' She then sent an adorable, happy emoticon. 'How are you doing?'

Hikaru paused, his mind racing back to what Kaoru and Yukimura said. He could feel his blood boil even more and his broken heart ache. He didn't want to feel this way. He didn't want to be near them - the cause of all this pain. He felt suffocated in this house. It was the weekend so that meant he was stuck here... unless... 

The twin didn't answer her question and just asked. 'Do you want to go to the pool today?'

Tomoko rose her eyebrows at the text, surprised. 'Oh- sure! Do you have a place in mind.'

That made Hikaru pause. He didn't think this through. 'No...'

'Great, 'cause I do! I will send you the address.' Tomoko smiled wide. 'Be there in an hour.' That made Hikaru smile and his heart thump. He would get out of this house and actually...well, be with someone, do something with someone...

God, was he pathetic.

It was an hour later and Hikaru, currently in swim shorts with a towel over his shoulder arrived at the destination. He got out of the car and immediately froze at the sight of the pool and the very simple sign saying. 

'LOCAL POOL'

That meant...this was a commoner place. Hikaru's jaw dropped - this was not what he was expecting. He was expecting a private pool or something...not...this.