Chapter 13 | Ball Bedlam

[Chapter 13 | Ball Bedlam]

"Ah, yes! I hear your problems loud and clear! See, what you must do to win her heart is write a poem of love and weep upon the paper to show your true feelings to her!" Tamaki exclaimed to a male first-year who was trying to get love advice from him, seeing as for the night he was a Cupid.

"C-Cry on the paper?" The first-year stuttered out, an expression of confusion on his face.

"Exactly! Then she will see how serious you are and how sensitive you are!" Tamaki nodded.

From afar, Tomoko sat with Hikaru, watching the two. "I don't think Tamaki is doing a really good job being a matchmaker." Hikaru said.

Tomoko laughed awkwardly. "Give him a chance...it's his first time."

"And...if I do that, she'll like me?" The first-year asked Tamaki.

"Correct! If not, you can always go on your knees and cry. Come!" Tamaki got down on his knees. "Get down with me, we will rehearse."

Hikaru snorted in amusement. "He's not getting any better."

"Oh dear." Tomoko sighed. "I'm going to have to apologize to that boy later." She scratched the back of her neck. "I should probably go do my host things though... aren't you supposed to go up on stage and announce something with Kaoru?" 

"Yeah, in a bit." Hikaru shrugged. He wasn't looking forward to that. He just hoped that Kaoru didn't try anything and they could just do what they needed to do without any problems. He glanced over to his brother who was (surprise, surprise) with Yukimura, then looked back over to Tomoko, who smiled at him when their eyes met.  His cheeks went the faintest pink and he looked away. "Go off and do  your host things."

Tomoko chuckled. "Okay, wish me good luck." She smiled brighter at him. She took a step forward to go but stopped and turned back to Hikaru. "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

Hikaru cocked a brow. "Go ahead."

"You know Haruhi? Is he..." Tomoko paused and in that brief pause, Hikaru's mind started to race as he wondered what she could possibly want to know...maybe she was suspicious of Haruhi, wondering if she was actually a he. "Single?"

Hikaru almost choked on his own saliva out of shock to hear that. His eyes went huge and he looked over to Tomoko. "U-Uh-" He took a second to compose himself. "Yeah, he is. Why?"

Tomoko just smiled gently. "Just wondering. Wish me good luck again! I should go be a good host." She leaned in, ruffling his hair before turning away and walking over to the first group of girls she spotted, hoping that she could do this host thing right.

Hikaru watched her go, his eyebrows furrowed and mouth parted. Why would she ask such a thing? Maybe she wants to help Haruhi out relationship-wise, or worse, maybe she has a crush on her...HER. Christ on a stick! Tomoko has a crush on Haruhi, thinking that Haruhi is a he but Haruhi is actually a she.

That's a story for a sitcom if Hikaru ever saw one...

For some reason, this realization made his chest go tight and he really didn't know why, but it was a familiar feeling, as if he had felt this before - and maybe he had.

This night was getting worse by the minute.

"Hey, did you hear? I was told that Hikaru is actually quitting the Host club."

"Really? I was told by Mishi  that she saw the twins getting into a big fight and they're both quitting! I mean, look, they aren't even sitting together."