Chapter 06 | Lonely People

[Chapter 06 | Lonely People]

"What do you think love is?" The middle school teacher asked the class. There was just silence. "Love is a very popular theme in literature, you will never find a story without one form of love." Love, of course, came in many forms. The love of a family, the love between siblings and the love between two separate people, a romantic, emotional love.

Aged thirteen, Tomoko Hatakeyama raised her hand up. "Teacher?"

"Yes, Tomoko?" Her teacher looked over to her and Tomoko put down her hand.

"It depends." Tomoko said.

"On what?"

"On what kind of love you're talking about...there's different kinds and some are more tame." Tomoko nodded. The teacher sighed irritably.

"Tomoko. I am quite obviously talking about the relationship between a man and a woman, a romantic relationship."  She replied.

Tomoko blinked. "A romantic relationship doesn't only consist of a man and a woman." She corrected her English teacher. "There can be two men, two women or those who aren't either..."

"Tomoko. You need to stop looking into things so deeply." The teacher huffed, turning around. "Class, copy this down." She started writing on the chalk board.

Tomoko sighed and leaned back in her seat, an exhausted expression on her face. The school could be so close minded sometimes. She rested her chin on the palm of her hand and looked out to the window, starting to daydream of all that was love.

It was a cliche dream for a Middle School student; to find love, but she was so young it would be more 'like' than 'love' and would last a month or two at most. School relationships rarely work out. So she was content with daydreaming about the perfect love life, people understanding that love and maybe helping people fall in love too.

[Present day]

"Thank you Tomo-chan..." A girl with black hair in a ponytail said, her voice soft and sweet. She grabbed her now girlfriends hand, a girl with orange hair up in a bun. "I wouldn't of had the courage to ask her without your help."

"I'm incredibly happy to of helped. You two are such an adorable couple..." Tomoko smiled wide. "You two run along now!" She clasped her hands. 

The girl with orange hair giggled. "Alright, Tomoko." She squeezed her girlfriends hand. "Let's go, Lili!" She dragged her out and as they went out through the door, Hikaru squeezed pass them and into the Cupid club-room.

"Hikaru-senpai!" Tomoko got up from the couch. "I was wondering when I'd see you next."

"Well here I am." Hikaru walked over to her.

"What are you here for?" Tomoko tilted her head.

"Uh." Hikaru paused. What was he here for. "...More...cupid stuff?" He squinted.

Tomoko stared at him for a moment before laughing softly. "Cupid stuff. Right. Okay, well," She put her hands together. "I actually think we're ready for field work."

"Field w-"

"Are you open to commoners?" Tomoko squinted.

"Wait- wait- what do you mean by field work?" Hikaru shook his hand.

"I mean...getting out there and having you meet people, you know?" Tomoko tilted her head. "That sorta thing."

"Um..." Hikaru didn't know what to say to that. He was starting to feel uncomfortable if he was being honest. "I'm a little taken back." He admitted.