Chapter 15 | Bicycle Race

[Chapter 15 | Bicycle Race]

[Aged Thirteen, Hitachiin Twins]

"Welcome to this new school!" One of the prefects said to the new girl they were showing around. "This is a pretty great school, we have great classes, clubs and other activities." They explained, showing the girl to the classroom. "This is your classroom, if you need anything just ask your peers and I'm sure they'll show you around."

The new girl smiled at the prefect. "Alright, thank you." She waved them off as she went into the classroom and sat down in the seat close to her two class mates, Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin. The class went okay, for the most part, everyone did their work including the twins- although they kept whispering, as if coming up to something.

Come the end of class and the start of the next one, the girl had no idea where to go, so she turned to the twins. "Hey! I'm new here, can you show me where my next class is?" She asked, smiling at them. "I'm Tabitha, by the way. I hope we can be good friends."

Friends.

The twins exchanged amused glances as it seems as if something had fallen right into their hands. "Of course. I'm Hikaru," Hikaru said. "-And I'm Kaoru." Kaoru replied.

Tabitha grinned at them. "Nice to meet you Kaoru," she said though when she said that she looked at Hikaru. "Nice to meet you Hikaru." She looked at Kaoru. The twins weren't impressed. Everyone, even people who didn't know them, saw them as the same.

The two ended up showing her to her next class, though they purposely showed her to the wrong class. A class full of older students, which made it all the more embarrassing. Extremely embarrassed, she rushed out of the classroom only to see the two twins laughing at her.

They had no empathy back then for anyone that wasn't themselves. 

Hikaru looked at his brother as he laughed and hoped things never changed.

[Present Day]

It was the weekend and the two girls were out together like Hikaru had wanted. Haruhi invited Tomoko to go on a bike ride with her and that's what they had been doing for the majority of their time together.

Eventually though they got tired and both stopped to get some ice cream from an ice cream vendor. Haruhi got herself a vanilla while Tomoko got a choc mint. "Today has been so good, thank you for this." Tomoko said to Haruhi as they sat down near their bikes to eat their ice cream. 

"It's not a problem, this has been pretty fun." Haruhi said, and she meant it, she made a mental note that she had to hang out with Tomoko more and not just because Hikaru wanted her to talk to her. 

"You're really somethin' you know that?" Tomoko said to Haruhi, watching her fondly. 

Haruhi rose her eyebrows. "Huh, what do you mean?"

"I just mean that- you're different then some people, you know? You're different than everyone at Ouran." Tomoko explained as she licked her ice cream. She paused for a moment. "I thought Hikaru was different too." Her heart ached at that. "Hey, Haruhi, you're single, right?"

Haruhi almost choked on her ice cream when she heard that. "What?" Wait, Tomoko didn't...did she? "Oh, Tomoko, I'm sorry but I'm not interested in you that way and besides, I'm actually a g-"

"OH! No, no, no- that's not it at all!" Tomoko exclaimed, her face going red in embarrassment. "God, no, I don't like you like that- you're just a friend! A great guy!" She was extremely flustered. "No, I just- you remind me a lot of someone- and I was wondering if you were single and if so, if I could set you up with someone...because I like making my friends happy, you know?" She smiled.