3 - Rai

"Can't believe your old man actually works for those sissies!" Tito hissed, tossing his dead cigarette into the gravel, leaning onto his black Camaro.

"Money's money." I told him, shrugging under my leather jacket "Wherever it comes from."

"He's right." My cousin Jorge said, brushing his mustache with his large fingers "Don't give a crap what they do to each other when we're not lookin', as long as they pay the good Gs."

"For all I know they have a nasty basement full of toys and all that crap!" Tito said, and trembled theatrically, making us laugh.

"You should know." I tossed him, and he flips me off "Where's the guy anyway, Tito? Got better things to do than wait for that pendejo in the cold."

"Santiago is running late, but he'll be here" Tito said, his large hands up in defense.

"It's past eleven. Mi papa will chop my head off if I get home past midnight, you know?"

"I know, Rai." Tito said, and then pointed happily to the convertible that appeared from the muddy road "See?"

Good. Time for business.

The huge mexicano leaves his car with two other men by his side. The guy looks like a movie gángster in his dark clothes and black sleek hair pulled into a ponytail. His mustache is well groomed, not like my pendejo cousin Jorge. This guy has the money and the power to get late to a meeting.

"Santiago" Tito greeted, smiling like a complete idiota.

The man didn't even look at him. It's my cousin's group, anyway. We work for Jorge, not Tito.

"Señor." Jorge greeted the man, whom bows his head slightly "You want to make some business."

"I have a job that needs your experience." The man said, his voice smooth and classy; this cabrón thinks he's too good for the dirty work "I could never do it, due to my... reputation."

Tito and I stare at each other. What is this pendejo up to?

"It has come to my ears that Choi is selling his stuff in my area." The man said, taking a black cigarette from a silver case; I saw the image of La Virgen María carved in it "I need this suspicion to be confirmed."

"Where?" Jorge asked, not missin' a beat.

"Tonight at La Ronda." Santiago said, blowing some smoke "The payment is generous."

"How much?" Jorge asked, his dark eyes never leaving Santiago's.

"Two grand" Santiago said, and I laughed.

Jorge didn't look at me, but Tito and Santiago did.

"It's a suicidal mission and you give us two?" I frowned "If your suspicion is confirmed, you'll get much more by selling your shit. So I believe there's a better deal waitin' for our pandilla."

Santiago took another slow puff. He kept staring at me. His face was filled with scars, a large nose and focused eyes. He's like a crow, always waiting. Quietly.

"What is your offer?" He wanted to know.

"Five. Half now, half later" I said, and Tito choked on his own tongue, shaking like the leaves of the trees surrounding us.

"Half now. The other half when I start selling again" Santiago said, turning his back.

"Bullshit." I said, and the man stopped walking, but not caring to look at me "It's half later or no deal."