37 - Rai

Rai

Mi hermano was back. That would be good, right? I was lookin' forward to it for months. However, things started wrong. First, he mouth-trashed my girl; brother or not, no one would ever talk like that to or about Whitney. If they did... well, they just had to deal with me.

Whitney agreed to come to the dinner with me. Good, I actually needed her there with me. She... calmed me down, kinda held me when things started to go wrong. My rock; my beautiful rock was now walkin' by my side, up the busy and noisy street. Mariachis were playin' by the restaurant's entrance, people were dancin' and partyin' everywhere. There were colorful lamps and lights everywhere.

"I've never been around here," Whitney told me, all smilin' while a group of Mariachis played a very fun song.

"It's just like mi papá's village." I assured her, and she smiled up at me "You have to come to Mexico with me, someday."

She smiled again and kissed me quickly. So this was going great. First, I'd made love to her all afternoon. Second, she was all smilin' and shinnin', like she was truly happy. I love this girl, I love everythin' about her. Of course, she has flaws, but so do I. I loved her still. Her flaws just make her real and approachable, like... the fact that she still thinks me bein' a Cuervo is some sort of sin. I get it, she thinks I don't get it but I do. She wants better for me, and, deep down, she wants better for her too. Not a better boyfriend, I do believe she loves me and wants to be with me. Still, she wants better, for us. That only makes me love her more if that's possible. Still, I wouldn't change my life for her. Or for us... And there would be a time when I would have to let her go, she would meet the so-called College Guy... and that was it.

"Buenas noches!" My cousin Eduardo said when we got to the restaurant "You're late, primo."

I hugged him briefly, and introduced Whitney – he actually googled his eyes and whistled; yeah, she's that hot... and she's mine, too! -, and we walked inside. The whole family was gathered, already. I knew that they all looked at Whitney and thought: a white girl... with Rai?!

Yes, I wasn't exactly a white fan. Still, this girl could never be cataloged as just 'white'... or just a 'girl', for that matters... The beautiful tall copper hair girl in the white dress was a woman; a woman I was crazy about.

Earlier, at her place, she made a desperate request for me to help her choose what to wear that night. Somethin' that looked good. I told her she could dressed exactly like she was, that moment. She gave me a sour look; going naked maybe wasn't the best option. Still, all looked good on her, to me. Eventually, she decided for a white dress, that had cute silk ruffles on the top. It looked like a Mexican cocktail dress... or so she told me.

"Bienvenidos a Pueblo's." The guy at the door said, gesturin' for us to get inside "Please, señora, let me have your coat."

The man took Whitney's black coat and led us to my family table. The restaurant wasn't a classy style restaurant, not chic. It was a nice Mexican restaurant with colorful walls – red, orange and yellow played around with electric blues -, dozens of lamps in the ceiling, with all the colors there are in the rainbow. Our table had a nice red towel, small yellow candles, and white flowers in the center. The dishes were electric blue and cream, with golden designs, and the wooden chairs had the same blue ribbons. It was fun and relaxin' and was packed up with Mexican people, noisy and fun. All singin' and laughin'.

Whitney was grabbin' my hand like it was a lifeboat. I smiled down at her and squeezed her hand, so she would know it was all fine. I introduced her to all my family members and yes, I was all cocky and proud. Especially when my nana said she was too beautiful for me. Whitney blushed and I swear she bowed to my abuelita, the woman in the black dress and long black braid laughed. I knew instantly she loved my novia, so I kissed her cheek twice.