6 - Whitney

Whitney

I looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Big decision of the day: left or right? I knew that it would be better to have it in the belly. But right now all I could decide is left or right thigh. Left. It was the same, anyway, it was just a matter of comfort. I couldn't give the shot in the belly 'cause I had a small bruise, from so many shots in the same area. I knew I'd been stupid and didn't follow the rules: one should change the spot where the syringe would sting from time to time.

I grabbed my purse and coat and hurried out the door. I was already late as hell! Had to eat something at school. No time for a decent breakfast.

"You're late." Portia said as I met her at the front door "Here's your sandwich."

"Thanks. You're a life saver" I said, smiling at my best friend.

We walked into PE. Mr. Yates was making us do a relay race. I actually liked those and I loved to exercise. Tom and Greg, needless to say, were very clear about my moving: less than nothing. No, that's actually not true. They do know I need to exercise, not only for health reasons. But they don't want me to push it far, either.

"You'll be divided into teams of four." Mr. Yates said, his broad voice echoing in the running track "Each member of the team will do a hundred meters. That's one hundred and ten yards, for those who don't give a crap about Math."

He divided the class into five teams, and he didn't let us pick the teams. Wouldn't be fair, he said. Crap. I knew he would split up the Cuervos. The three of them were like cheetahs, so it wouldn't be fair if they stayed together. Which meant that at least three teams would be screwed.

So, my team got Hana, a Korean girl, one of the geek boys, and Mr. Super Gangster, Rai Vega. Great... awesome...

"You girls just concentrate on don't let the baton fall. We boys do the runnin' " Vega said as soon as Mr. Yates gave us the team color, blue.

"Last time I looked, I had two perfectly working legs, Vega." I said, putting on the blue vest over my white tee "And I bet I run faster than you."

Well, that was a big fat lie, but still...

"Thought bets were a nasty habit" He teased, the smile he gave me was so cocky that I wanted to punch him in his perfectly striking and dark face.

"Disgusting." I corrected him "And I don't need to bet. I know I'm faster. You just feel the breeze run past you."

"We're on the same team, Copper Girl."

Copper Girl?

"So, don't get too excited," He said, playing with the baton in his big tanned hands.

The first time we raced we placed in second. Aaaaawesome! Hana's fault, actually, we could've been the winners. The small chubby Korean girl couldn't outdo Cuervos' own Tito. He was a tall built guy, looked exactly like a track runner. So his team finished in first place. The second time, we finished first. Rai was as fast as a Ferrari, and he put all he got in the last yards.

Now it was Tito's team against us. I was fast, Rai admitted, and so he rearranged the team so I was before him. Our conjoint speeds would make us win, he said. So Jay - geek guy - started the race. He passed to Hana, but she was the slowest, so Rai and I needed to save this. He made a signal with his hand - when I got the baton, I should give all I got. Like I needed him to tell me that... And by the way, who died and made him the freakin' king?!

I got the baton. My legs started to sprint. I felt like a bird flying. Flying high, higher...! Then I felt like I was swimming, and my head was so light I actually smiled. Wait... No! This wasn't right. I shouldn't be feeling light-headed. I shouldn't be feeling my legs shake. What the hell?!

"Whitney!" I heard Mr. Yates roar, and then his broad hands were in my face, snapping me out of my beautiful flight "Whitney, can you hear me? Do you know where you are?"

"Run." I said, "I'm... running."

"Did you eat in the morning?" He asked, and suddenly I saw one of his forefingers in front of my blurred eyes.

"Yeah... I ate."

"What did you eat, Whit?" I heard Portia ask "Anything other than the sandwich I got you?"

"No... No time. Was late..." I mumbled, and heard Portia curse, heavily "Sorry... my fault."

"Mr. Vega, will you help your colleague to Nurse Tucker?" Mr. Yates asked.

No... no, no. Not him! He can't know! No one can know! I don't want them to know I'm weak! I'm so weak... They can't know I'm not that strong. They can't know I'm pathetic Please, don't! I'm fine. I promise I'm fine!

"Can you walk?" The Mexican voice asked yet again.

Shut up... Just shut up for a minute. Your voice's annoying.

"Let's try to walk." The voice said again, and I felt my legs trying to support my weight "We're almost there."

I sensed the smell before actually saw that we're already in the Nurse's office. The alcohol and anti-septic smell were awful. Hated it.

"Oh, dear, dear..." The Nurse said, when she opened my file and probably reading I am type I diabetic "What did you eat this morning, Whitney, honey?"

"Cheese sandwich," I said when she and Mexican Voice helped me sit in the cold chair.

"And?"

"Air?" I mumbled while she checked my blood pressure.

"Whitney, where's your insulin pen? Did you check your glucose this morning?"

"Handbag. Locker room." I said, my eyes feeling fuzzy "Yes, I checked. I always check. All the time. Was normal."

"Normal because you were fasting. Did you take insulin in the morning?" She asked, her voice was heavy and mad.

"Yeah..." Crap.

"You should've eaten more, you know that. And only a sandwich before a gym class? That's very irresponsible of you. Mr. Vega, please go get Miss Gordon's purse. What does it look like?"

"Small. Black. Has the insulin pen and everything inside. You can't miss it" I assured to the thin air, and felt, in the back of my mind, that maybe I should shut up.

A few moments later - it felt like a few nanoseconds -, the Mexican Voice talked again and I felt a sting on my finger. Then Nurse Tucker cursed, I chuckled, and then she's making a phone call. I heard the name 'Gordon' a bunch of times.

"Your glucose is too low." Nurse Tucker said, "Can you already hold yourself onto sitting position?"

Wasn't I already sitting? Yeah, I was. The chair was warm and everything. Very comfy, warm and soft. Loved the little pillow it made into my right side. Was actually quite hard, like a rock, but very, very warm. I could sleep for days in here.