15 - Rai

Rai

"Mi amor, going out with Whitney Gordon... C'mon, give me some credit!" I snapped, with what I hoped was a cocky grin.

"Ah. Got it," She said, frownin' a little, but droppin' the subject; good.

"So... Can I ask you what's like to have two dads?"

I waited for her answer. She kept drummin' her fingers on the table and lookin' around the restaurant like she couldn't care less about her date. She'd called me her date, though. Was it just 'cause the waiter was messin' with us or did she... you know, actually considered me her date?

No, Rai, she secretly has the hots for you... C'mon, wake up, pendejo...! I'm embarrassed for you, you're acting like a fourteen-year-old!

"Are you gonna answer?" I asked, clearing my throat; damn conscience attackin' me in the worst time ever...

"Why do you even care?" She said, lookin' bored as hell; crap... not what I wanted at all.

"Curious. You almost bit my head off in the car, about Cher and that shit. So... Gotta know. What's it like?" I asked again, shruggin', and she actually focused on me this time, shruggin' as well.

"How can I know? It's just family, to me. Can't really tell the difference." She said, and I could see she meant it "I mean, I could ask you what's it like to have a mom and a dad. Same thing."

"Guess so." I mumbled, shruggin' again "And... they're your parents since when?"

"Since they adopted me," She said.

"Shocker." I snapped, sourly, and she actually smiled a little "What I meant was-"

"Since I was a baby. About... six months, I think" She said, after thinkin' for a bit.

"Wow. Thought they adopted you later. Like when you were a toddler already."

"Nope. Still a baby."

"Didn't know people abandoned- I mean, I know people abandon babies!" I quickly amended, and she looked at me through her glass of water "Seems really weird."

Well, it looked weird that someone could abandon a baby like Whitney Gordon. I mean, if she's this drop-dead gorgeous now, I can only imagine how cute she was as a baby with big blue eyes and chubby cheeks. Who could just... ignore someone like that?!

Puto... you're losing it...

Yeah, well... That's what you get when you fly too close to the sun...

"Yes, well... diabetic baby, not exactly screaming 'Perfect daughter'" She said, and she looked bitter, even if she shrugged.

"It's their loss." I assured her, frowning, and she tightened her lips like she didn't want to talk about it; tough shit, we were goin' all personal tonight "And your dads' win."

"Right."

"What about your sister? Carlie, right? My sister Santana really likes her" I told her, givin' her the illusion that we've changed the subject; I needed to relax so she would drop her defenses one by one.

I mean, I know how it goes: you build this fort around you so nothin' can touch you, the ultimate armor against the world. I get it and I also know it's bullshit.

"Carlie, yeah. She likes Santana. She was at our place for Carlie's birthday, last year. She's a shy kid" She remarks.

Oh, no you won't, Copper Girl. We're not talkin' about me. It's only about you, tonight.