27 - Whitney

Whitney

Why did I care? Rai's right: it's not like high school will be my life forever or anything. If all goes well, I'll be out of here in a few months. So... why did I still care?

"I know why," Portia said, while we were tryin' to finish yet another History paper.

"You do, huh?" I smiled, crossing my legs over the white rug "And why do you think I care?"

"You don't care, Whit," She said, looking at me from over her big reading glasses.

"I don't?"

"Nope. Not about what they think, believe me. You know what worries you?" She asked me, getting up from her lying down position to mimic mine "You're afraid that he breaks your heart."

"Bullshit" I laughed, but my ears burned.

"No bull. Let's see: he's a gang member, he's hot and has every single girl in town after him. He pretty much screwed a lot of them, and he has all the motives to make fun of you. I'd be surprised if you weren't scared. 'Cause I am for you." She said, and I swallowed "Am I close?"

"Right on the target, as always." I sighed, letting my body fall to the floor, and keeping my stare on my ceiling "What should I do, P?"

Portia lay next to me, her head bumping into mine, both of us sighing.

"Don't know, Whit. The truth is that he didn't blab about your diabetes. Or Darren's... secret." She reminded me, and I turned my head to look at her "So I guess he's loyal to you."

"You really think that?" I asked, and she shrugged "C'mon, P! I need someone to tell me what to do! I have to blame someone if it goes wrong."

"Can't do that, honey. Love ya too much to tell you what to do." She said, kissing my head and getting up "But I'll tell you what: if he hurts you, you'll have me, Ian, Darren, your dads and Carlie to beat him up. No Cuervos could help him then."

I smiled and kept staring at the ceiling.

"Whit! You got a visit" I heard my Daddy say from the front door.

"Wait a sec'." I told Portia "Comin'!"

I hopped through the corridor and down the stairs. When I saw who was there, I frowned.

"Nacio? What are you doing here?" I asked the stocky guy that looked really uncomfortable.

"Hey, Whit." He greeted, trying to smile; coughed a little and made a sign with his head "Can we... talk outside?"

I nodded and followed him to my porch.

"What's wrong? Is... Rai ok?"

"Right... Rai's the reason I came here" He said, brushing his hands over his jeans.

"Oh my God! Is he ok?! He got shot! He's hurt, isn't he?!" I moaned and felt my stomach fall on my feet, my heart throbbing in my ears, and my lip quiver, 'cause I was about to burst out crying.

"No, no! He's fine." He actually dared to laugh at my face "That's not it. He's workin', actually. Damn, girl, you got it bad, don't ya?"

I made a fist and punched him in the shoulder.

"Holy shit! Hey!" He moaned, squeezing the place I just punched.

"Wanna take a whipping from a girl?" I groaned, my fist still in the air.

"Ok! Ok! Jesus, relax, girl! I came here to help. Rai said you had your car fixed, a few days ago?"

"Oh... Yeah, I did. So?" I asked, shrugging.