28 - Rai

Rai

Mierda! I was so Goddamn tired! I just let my body fall on the bed as soon as I got home. Couldn't stay up for one more second. Sleep. I needed sleep. Auto wash double shift and then run after the mother-fuckin' Yellow Monkeys throughout the border from East to South. My body was about to burst from overwork, and my head wasn't gettin' away with it, either.

"Rai?" Santana's soft voice echoed in the door "Are you ok? You look so tired."

I moan and just let my body stay in the same position, with my chest down on the mattress.

"I can make you somethin' to eat." She said, appearin' by my side, her long brown hair brushin' my hand when she took a seat next to me "Are you hungry?"

I moaned, and she chuckled.

"Ok. I'll just bring some enchiladas."

She got up and left the room. That kid was like our mom, always makin' sure everyone got their food and their clothes. I couldn't help to think of how things would change once Carlos came back. Not to worse, not that... just... different. Santana loved us both, but to have her ex-con brother at home would be stressful for her. I had to do something about that, she needed to get happier and be a kid. She wasn't a kid since she was seven when mom died.

"Rai?"

"I can't get up enough to eat. You'll have to feed me" I smiled, my eyes still closed.

She laughed and nodded. My baby sister is the world to me. She and mi papa must be taken care of. No matter how hard I have to work, they have to be safe.

***

I always took Santana to school, every mornin' I would walk her to the yellow brick buildin', kiss her goodbye and then drive to school myself. Sometimes I gave rides to my friends. Unluckily for me, this was one of those days.

"Take care in there, chiquita" I said, kissin' her head.

"I always do, tonto" She smiled, smackin' one of her fists on my shoulder.

"I'll see you later," I said, wavin' as she ran inside the school.

When I turned around, I saw my vision of heaven – and no, it wasn't a bag of money, although that would be helpful. Whitney Gordon was helpin' her little sister put her backpack on, and she was definitely scoldin' her, for the way she was waivin' her forefinger in front of her sister's face, as they both crossed the street.

"Hey, look. It's the Hombre Latino" Carlie, the green-eyed blonde teased, makin' a sneer; so they had somethin' in common, after all.

"Hey, look. It's Alice in Wonderland, minus the cuteness" I snapped back, a cocky grin on my face, and the girl made a real badass face.

"Carlie, shush. You're late, and you're on probation" Whitney told her, pullin' the end of her long blonde braid.

"Ouch! Back off! Like you never fucked up, sis'" Carlie groaned, and my eyebrows shot up.

"Fucked up?" I mumbled at Whitney, who winced.

"Carlie's... special." She growled, pinchin' her sister's arm, and the girl shrieked "Go, dwarf. Before I get angrier."

"Geez... PMS much?" The blond girl groaned, and I couldn't help to laugh "He looks like Speedy Gonzalez without the good looks."

"Hey, now." I warned her, half closin' my eyes at the short big mouthed kid "Better run inside or I'll make you two inches shorter."