24 - Rai

Rai

"I promise I won't go over fifteen minutes." She said, runnin' up the stairs "Make yourself at home."

I heard a door bein' shut, and then quiet.

Wow... The house was awesome! It was big, but not like the black guy's house. That looked like Brad Pitt's house or somethin'... This one was a big family house. One could see it in the pictures hangin' on the light green walls. The stairs also had many pictures of family members. I saw many little Whitneys, a perfect hall of fame since she was a baby until now.

The long corridor kept goin' and far away, to the left, was the family's livin' room. I saw some white bookshelves, full of stories and decorations. On the right, through another large arch, was the dinnin' room. I walked into the livin' room and my jaw drooped. Holy crap! This room was aaaawesome! The walls were in the same light green, but they were covered with colors, paintings so colorful and cheerful that I actually smiled. The windows were big, and the curtains let the sun go in. The white couches had red and yellow pillows. The fireplace was made of light stones, and there was a family portrait hangin' above it. The woman who once took Whitney to school was there too, with both her dads and the blond girl that I immediately knew was Carlie.

The livin' room ceiling was high, and above it was a round skylight. I could see the sun goin' in and play with the crystals from the lamps. This house was really cool! They had a flat-screen TV, a vintage radio set with LP reader, and flowers. There were many white and yellow flowers around the house.

I went through another arch that led to the kitchen. This was a really cool kitchen. I bet Greg, her baker dad, would make up many of his famous pastries here. Everything was either white or stainless. The floor was light green, different from the shiny hardwood floor of the rest of the house. The three-angle window at the end of the kitchen was the main light source. There was a round glass table and six chairs. I bet they had breakfast together right there, every mornin'.

I was stunned to find out that I envied her. She had this perfect family that she protected with teeth and nails. I get it, now. I get why she tries to be perfect. She isn't, though. She's sick, and she knows people would just say that the only reason the Gordons adopted her was the fact that no one else would want a defective baby. But for her family, I bet she was perfect.

I felt my stomach drop when I heard her scream, from the upper floor.

"Whitney?!" I yelled, runnin' through the halls and up the stairs; she was comin' out of her room, her hair still wet, but she was already dressed "What? What?! Are you ok? Tell me you're ok!"

She was smilin', so I got confused. Her face was glowin' as she held her phone to her face.

"What?!" I asked again, my hands went to her face, so I could see her eyes.

"My sister just got her period!" She yelled, jumpin' up and down.

"What?!" I muttered, frownin'.

"Her period! My Carlie is a woman!" She shrieked, still jumpin' and runnin' around herself like she was a little puppy.

"Woman, you scared me!" I growled, rollin' my eyes "So what she got her... you know...?"

"It's a woman's thing." She said, shootin' her chin high "You couldn't possibly understand."

She got into her room again, closin' the door behind her. I grinned like a total fool. No, I did get it, she was happy for her sister. That's what it's like in families, one gets happy about silly small things. I get it.

When she got out of her bedroom again, her hair was dry and droppin' flawlessly down her shoulders, over her over-sized black sweater. She wore simple jeans and black Converse. Still, she looked lovely to me.