FIVE: STRANGER

CHAPTER FIVE: STRANGER

Toiletries, perfumes and deodorant, room freshener, kettle... what again do you need to buy if you're going to university campus?

Bucket, sponge bag, electric stove and so many other necessities were thrown in the shopping trolley. Waheeda got admission into Bayero University Kano (BUK). And she got the course of her dream, political Science in their new site.

She had been discouraged alot about it and she was still being discouraged but her love for the course has surpassed all the discouragement. She was in for all the trouble.

She has decided to stay on campus and come home during weekends and other important days. She was done with her shopping and was on the payment queue, only one person was in front of her.
Few minutes later, her items were packed in big polythene bags. She opened her purse to pay when a young man came beside her.

"Excuse me please, I just need to pay for this" he said and raised the pack of chewing gum and bottle of soda in his hand.

She nodded and shifted a bit for him. He brought out his credit card and passed it to the cashier.

"Sorry Sir, our card reader is broken" the cashier woman said.

Waheeda was done counting her money so she gave it to the cashier and waited for her change.

"Ooh. That's bad. I really .." he checked his wallet and then opened it so that the cashier and Waheeda could see "I don't have any cash on me and the ATM out is broken too"

"I'm sorry about that Sir." Was the cashier's simple reply.

"Excuse me Miss, do you mind paying for this I will pay you when we get out." He directed his request to Waheeda.

She thought she heard wrong or he was probably not referring to her but when she turned to look at him, his expression and eyes said it all. He just asked her to pay for him.

She gave him a confused look. "Excuse me?"

"I'm really sorry Miss but can you help me pay for this?" He requested again.

She gave him a skeptical look before asking "how much is that?"

"1000 naira" he grinned.

"Just a pack of gum and a drink is 1000 Naira? " she asked not believing him.

"Actually it's two packs of gum" he raised his other hand and smiled sheepishly.

She shook her head and collected her change from the cashier before bringing out a new one thousand Naira note and gave it to the cashier.

She picked her shopping bags and set to leave.
"Thank you. Let me help you with that" he offered and she agreed because the things were too much for her to carry alone.

They reached outside, she dropped the things she was holding and he followed suit.

"Do you have a car? I will help you take it to the car. Are you waiting for someone?" He asked.

"No thank you I will find my way from here."

"I can drop you off."

"No thank you. It's okay"

"You were kind to me I want to pay back"

"No. You don't have you. I don't need you to pay back the money "

She was begining to get irritated.

"But I insist"
"I said it's okay" she said through gritted teeth trying to prevent herself from yelling.